Investigation

The FBI determined that Jess was next on the Masked Murderers' hit list. During his last murder spree, he purposely left clues trailing behind at the crime scene- the same murder spree where he terrorized and tormented Lacy. The clues were meant to antagonize law enforcement and discretely signal who was next on his list.

One of the lead investigators on the case discovered that the Masked Murderer was employing tactics reminiscent of the Zodiac Killer, thereby making the clues difficult to decipher.

This led to mounting frustration and angst within both the Galveston Police Department and the FBI. Their shared objective was to apprehend him and restore safety to the streets. Meanwhile, gripped by fear, Galveston's residents hesitated to venture outside after dark. What was once a tightly-knit community now found itself in the clutches of the masked murderer's reign. A reign that cast a dark and eerie shadow over our once idyllic and tranquil town.

Jess was now under the FBI's care in protective custody. I spoke with her briefly before they sent her away, "I love you, Olivia." were her last words to me before the FBI hauled her off to a secret location- somewhere far away from Galveston, is what it sounded like. Those last words of hers ripped at my heart, tearing it to pieces. It was a nightmare that felt unreal but a pitiful reality.

***

Nathan sat in the living room with the remote control clutched in his hand as he flipped through the channels while a bag of freshly microwaved popcorn sat on his lap.

"Hey, Liv!" Nathan greeted me with a smile as I walked in through the front door, hauling two brown paper bags full of groceries.

"Hey, Nathan." I replied unenthusiastically, "Have you heard back from any of the apartments you applied at?"

I was hoping that Nathan would've found a place by now. I know he needed a month, but it'd already been two weeks, and he was hanging around the place as if he owned it, which frustrated me.

Nathan turned his head to look at me as I strolled into the kitchen to put the groceries away.

"No." He replied as he scooped up a handful of popcorn and threw it into his mouth. "I had one guy call me from the Bird's Landing Apartment Complex across town, but my credit score wasn't high enough." He explained nonchalantly while chewing on his popcorn.

I was beginning to feel like I was spending more time with Nathan than with Charles. The refinery had Charles working all types of hours.

Officer Singh came by and visited Charles and me early on Saturday morning.

"How are you two holding up?" He asked while he stood in our living room. His gaze shifted between Charles and me.

"I'm doing the best I can considering all that's been happening." I replied, sorrow lacing my voice, "It just feels like a never-ending nightmare that keeps getting worse." My emotions erupted within. I could no longer ignore the storm brewing within me. My eyes slowly filled with salty tears like water descending upon a drying reservoir, desperate for hydration. A wave of relief washed over me as tears streamed down my face and dripped down my chin.

Charles consoled me by rubbing my back and resting his head on my shoulder, "It's gonna be alright, Babe." He reassured.

Officer Singh cleared his throat, "We're working this case around the clock, as I'm sure you're aware." His eyes drifted to the floor beneath his feet, "We want him off the streets, and we're doing the best we can."

I sniffed, blowing my nose into the Kleenex, "I know." I began, "And appreciate the Galveston Police force. Without you all, I wouldn't be standing here today." I said, gazing into Officer Singh's eyes.

Officer Singh's glossy eyes dripped with pity and compassion.

"If you need any help, please feel free to contact us." Officer Singh retrieved a card from out of the pocket of his shirt. "Here's my card." He handed it to Charles.

"Thanks, officer." Charles peered down at the card and held it in his hand.

As the officers made their way out of our front door and out onto the porch, we waved goodbye to them as they left us to grapple with our grief and fears.

Later that night, Charles and I settled in onto the couch. He flipped the power "on" button as he clutched the remote in his hand. The light of the television filled the gloomy atmosphere of the room. Charles placed his arm around my neck, hugging me in a warm embrace.

"How about I go down to Imperial Palace and pick up your favorite won ton soup with a nice scoop of chicken fried rice on the side?" Charles inquired, compassion lacing his voice.

I nestled my head into Charles' chest, seeking comfort, and he held me tighter.

"I would love that," I replied.

Suddenly, a deafening bang echoed throughout the apartment as the front door swung open, colliding with the wall. My gaze quickly peered in that direction. It was none other than Nathan, once again in the grips of a drunken stupor. He struggled to maintain his balance as he clumsily staggered forward. Repeatedly tripping over his own feet, he fell over, smashing his face straight into the carpet with a resounding thud. He lay there, motionless.

"Charles!" I yelled out in frustration. "I've had enough. Your brother has to go!"