The Return

Jess sat on my couch crying over Justin while I vacuumed the small pieces of glass embedded into my carpet. Once I was done, I sat next to her, placing my arm over her shoulder and consoling her. She was really stressed out about Justin. It's no wonder she was so persistent and wouldn't quit knocking at my door. She desperately needed someone to talk to and a place to lay her head in the meantime.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" I asked her as I gently laid my hand on her shoulder, hoping to reassure her that things would be okay.

"Sure," Jess replied, wiping tears from her eyes. I handed her a box of Kleenex. She grabbed a few tissues and began dabbing at her eyes.

"You probably think I'm being ridiculous. You've been through so much, and here I am crying over a guy who'd rather spend time with his friends than with me," Jess said between sniffs and sobs, blowing her nose into a handkerchief.

"Jess, I don't think you're being ridiculous at all," I said before stepping away from the couch and making my way into the kitchen.

As I strolled into the kitchen, I grasped the handle of my red teapot and poured water into its reservoir. Then, I placed the teapot atop the stove and turned the heat to high, eager for the water to boil quickly.

I was suspicious of Jess, as her behavior was a little odd, and I noticed signs that she had been drinking- the scent of tequila lingered on her breath with each word she spoke.

"Jess, you know you shouldn't be drinking and driving," I firmly stated, crossing my arms and gazing at her.

With her head bowed in embarrassment, she lightly swept her long, curly, jet-black hair away from her shoulder to her back.

"Olivia, I was so upset. I needed a drink. I just had one... only one," Jess explained in an apologetic tone. "I won't do it again, I promise."

"I just want you to be safe, that's all."

I attempted to divert her attention from Justin by suggesting that we watch a movie.

"Let's watch a movie, Jess," I suggested, enthusiasm lacing my tone. "What about Beaches? We loved that movie when we were kids."

Jess nodded in agreement. I reached for the remote on the coffee table and held it tightly in my hand. Pressing down on the TV icon, the latest news report immediately blared through the speakers.

I suddenly heard the teapot whistle.

"I'll put on the movie after I get your tea," I assured Jess.

Rising from the couch, I made my way into the kitchen to prepare the tea. I removed the teapot from the stove and poured the hot water into two mugs. Ripping open two teabags, I placed one into each mug.

As I returned to the living room with the mugs in my hand, the most disturbing and frightening news hit my ears through the report.

"The masked murderer has struck again," the words played out into my ears like a movie playing in slow motion as the woman's voice reported the alarming news.

Just then, the mugs slipped out of my hands, tumbling to the floor.

Clack!

Little pieces of the porcelain mugs scattered across the kitchen floor.

"Are you okay, Olivia?" Jess asked, concern etched across her face.

"... After six months with no sign of him and police once believing that he fled the country, that is no longer the case...." The reporter continued.

"Oh no, this can't be true," I exclaimed, my voice quavering.

Jess picked the remote up from the couch and turned the volume up higher so that we could hear better.