The Pool

Jess, her cousin Corrine, and I yearned for an escape from the harsh reality that surrounded us. We'd been contending with the overwhelming chaos unleashed by the Masked Murderer as he resumed his killing spree, which weighed heavily on all of us.

And to top it off, we'd been grappling with Texas's oppressive one-hundred-degree heat for over a week, longing to escape the relentless sun's rays. That's when Lacy Donovan, a former high school friend, reached out to us for a weekend getaway at her parents' bed & breakfast.

It was appropriately named the Donovan Bed & Breakfast, resembling a cozy cottage nestled in the deep countryside. The property contained four bedrooms, a spacious swimming pool, and a relaxing spa in a beautifully flower-lined backyard – just the relaxing haven we needed.

The bed & breakfast was situated on the outskirts of Galveston, just a town away from our anxiety-ridden area. This would be a refreshing break away from Galveston and our everyday lives, which had us living in fear due to the Masked Murderer's reign over our once quaint town.

Lacy was once part of our friend group, dating back to high school. However, she had drifted apart from us as we grew into adulthood.  This was mostly due to her being given the overwhelming responsibility of running her parent's inn. It was a family business, and Lacy took much pride in it, engulfing herself in its day-to-day operations.

"Hey, girls!" Lacy smiled excitedly as she opened the door to the inn, welcoming us inside. "I'm so glad you all could make it!" she added with a warm smile.

"Now, who's ready for a shot?!" she inquired playfully, her eyes teasing.

"I could definitely use a shot!" Corrine responded as she hauled her luggage inside.

"Follow me!" Lacy quickly turned, and her black hair swung with her movement.

We entered the inn, strolling down the hallway, following Lacy's lead. The beige walls, with its neatly hung décor of flower wall art and timeless black and white photos of the inn, made this place an immaculate and cozy haven. At the end of the hall was a bar stacked full of various liquors and wine glasses hung from a rack above.

Lacy opened up a cabinet, retrieving four shot glasses. She neatly laid them out on top of the bar.

"Vodka it is!" she announced as she unscrewed the top of a large bottle of liquor. She neatly poured it into each shot glass with precision. Grasping a lime from the wicker basket, she placed it on a cutting board and sliced it into quarters. She put one piece in front of each of us and handed us our shot glasses.

I grabbed mine out of her hand and prepared to down the shot.

"Ok, ladies!" Lacy announced. "On the count of three."

We all counted down together.

"One!.. Two!..Three!"

I quickly gulped down the strong liquid, squeezing my eyes as the burn dripped down my throat. I took the lime and put it in between my teeth, sucking out all of the sourness.

Lacy gave us a tour of the inn, which was the loveliest bed & breakfast I had ever seen. It was the only one I had ever seen, so I had nothing for reference, but it exuded charm and offered a rejuvenating atmosphere that we all desperately needed.

We made our way up the wooden staircase. The wood creaked beneath our feet with each step. I held onto the smooth white railing as I climbed.

Once we reached the second floor, we strolled down the hall and settled into our rooms.

I twisted the knob to my door and stepped inside. I found a cute little bench beside the long rectangular window, which provided views of the fenced-in backyard pool and spa. Beyond the fence lay a rural area with lush green grass and trees. I plopped down on the bed, sinking into its softness.