Party Plans

Jess and I drove down the countryside road as we made our way back home from our final day at the Inn. With Corrine having departed the bed & breakfast earlier than us to head home and study for her upcoming college exam, it was just Jess and me now.

As Jess drove, I quickly spotted one of our favorite restaurants in the distance: DJ's Roadside Burgers, a famous local eatery in Galveston. It was a popular spot frequented by many locals.

"Yum!" I exclaimed, gazing out of the window and at the restaurant. "Let's grab a bite to eat at DJ's."

Jess shifted her head, peering outside her driver's side window. "Good idea! I'm starving."

After maneuvering the car into a parking spot, Jess put the car into park. I swung my door open and stepped outside, greeted by the rocky pavement beneath my feet. As we strolled into the burger joint, the sun's rays beat down on us.

I reached for the handle, opening the glass door. As soon as we stepped inside the aroma of grilled burgers wafted through the air, greeting us.

I scanned the eatery, noticing how minimally packed it was with some locals and a few tourists to the area, as evidenced by the luggage piled high atop their cars.

We settled into a table near the rear of the restaurant.

"Hi, ladies!" A bubbly waitress greeted us with an infectious smile.

We both smiled back.

"What can I get for you two?" She held an electronic pad in her hand, similar to that of an iPad.

"I'll have the bacon burger with fries and a Coke," Jess replied promptly.

"And I'll have a turkey burger. Hold the onions and extra mayo, please." DJ's had the most amazing turkey burgers, which I almost always opted for when visiting the joint.

Jess's hazel eyes met mine.

"My birthday is coming up," she announced with excitement.

"I know," I replied. "Gosh! I can't believe you're gonna be twenty-five!"

"Me neither," Jess joked, feigning a frown. "Feels so old."

"The older, the wiser," I teased, winking at her. We both chuckled.

"Justin's convinced that having my party at Old Manor Creek is a great idea," Jess disclosed, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

My eyes widened, and a heavy sensation settled in the pit of my stomach. Old Manor Creek was about thirty miles north of Galveston. It used to be a fun place to hang out and drink. Some of our friends from high school had some of the best parties there. However, it was now tainted by recent events. The discovery of a young college girl's body, a victim of a gruesome murder carried out by the Masked Murderer.

The waitress returned with our food, placing the hot plates in front of us.

"Can I get you two anything else?" The waitress inquired.

We nodded.

Jess sat across from me, her gaze locked with mine, her worry evident in every line of her face. Then, with a nervous shift of her eyes, she glanced down at the table. Picking up a fry from the plate, she stuffed it into her mouth as if trying to eat away the words she had just spoken.

"Jess, you know you're my best friend. I wouldn't miss your birthday party for the world." I reassured, "But Old Manor Creek?!" I furrowed my brows, "That's creepy, don't ya think?"

Jess nonchalantly shrugged, "Do you honestly believe the masked murderer would return to Old Manor Creek to continue his murder spree?"

"Am I maybe.. overreacting?"