02.

chapter two. now or never, right?

EVERY BUS RIDE I took had left me some memories I could never forget — like the happy rides to school whenever Pete made lunch for me, or that one time when I cried on the bus because I woke up late and thought that I was going to miss my music recital (I didn't, but imagine those fifteen minutes of terror whenever the driver had to stop four or five times because there were lots of passengers, and all you ever wanted was to get to school before call time). Despite the good and bad experiences I had on the white town bus, and out of all the bus rides I ever took in the course of my existence, I don't think I will ever forget this thirty-minute bus ride to Hartford.

My fingertips had been running cold and numb for the last ten minutes or so. No, I think it's been that way since last night when I returned a very important call that had been the basis of this drastic changing point in my life. Yes, within the weekend, I was able to come up with the decision of finally accepting Chilton's offer and willed myself to dial Ms. Rosalyn Sebastian's number line to confirm my scholarship and enrollment status. Thankfully, the school did not require me to head down to Hartford for the confirmation of my admissions — since the phone conversation I had was enough, and I was not ready to face them just yet. However that small decision of not going to school just because I was not ready instantly created a wave of regret over me, since I was more nervous than ever to be finally making my way to Chilton. I looked at the window and sigh.

Looking back at last week, I was just this small-town girl who went to school in the day, and worked two night jobs on alternating days just to get by. It didn't even occur to me that I, a student just doing music and writing for fun, could land myself a scholarship that catered all my fees. It took me the short weekend, along with Pete and everyone else's convincing, to realize that I did need the money and that taking the scholarship meant a huge deal on my part. In the middle of my phone conversation with Ms. Sebastian, she mentioned how lucky I was that someone was able to see the potential in me, and that taking the scholarship meant I don't have to work as much as I used to and just be a teen for once. It took me a hot minute to admit to myself that maybe taking up offers like this was not so bad, especially when it was right in front of me as a way to help me get what I really wanted in life.

I brushed off any recurring thoughts and focused on what was happening now. The ride to the school was horrible, which of course, is what I expected. Besides the fact that my hands felt cold, my body along with everything else felt numb. I couldn't bring myself to keep my thoughts at bay — what was going to happen? Will I make friends? Will my grades become way worse compared to the ones I had back in Stars Hollow High? What happens to me, then? With all these ideas and constant wondering about the what ifs, the peaceful morning bus ride in this fine cold Stars Hollow day that I hoped for did not come to me at all. I looked at the bus's digital clock, and read that it was 7:24, not good. I wasn't running late, but I still had lots to do when I get to the campus. Should've just accepted Ms. Sebastian's offer to give me a tour when I had the chance.

By three minutes, the bus came to a halt and the driver signaled the passengers that we were right at the bus stop near Chilton's campus area. I took my belongings with me and practically darted out of the vehicle. I blinked at the sight before me just as I stepped foot onto the campus proper, wow. The pictures in the booklet that was mailed to me along with the packages showed the beautiful brick-walled architectural structure of Chilton. Wow, I really was standing here, in front of Chilton Preparatory School. Home of Hartford's significant individuals and most well-established educational systems — from faculty to workers and its promising student body. Swallowing, I looked around to see the endless number of students and my mouth formed an 'o'. They came out from these beautiful designed cars, some had chauffeurs opening the door of their limousines, and some even drove their own Bentleys here.