07.

chapter seven. sweet tooth.

"OH COME ON PETE, PLEASE?" I followed Pete who was currently busing tables. Taking plates here and there and passing on new ones coming from the kitchen. I saw by the window that there were new customers about to head in so I opened the door and let them in, and quickly ran towards Pete.

"Hayden, I don't bake. Why don't you go to Weston's and grab a box of pie instead?" he said and opened up the register, placing in cash and a couple of change. I leaned on the counter and whined, hoping it would grab Pete's attention more. Maybe even put him on the spot.

"But Pete they said to make something homemade, and I can't ask Grandpa to bake for me. I even tried talking to Camille and everyone at the nursing home to see if they'll let me bake, but there's no ingredients that's sweet. It's all wheat and healthy." I scrunched my nose and tilted my head to the side. Pete was about to say something but I stopped him before he could open his mouth.

"And Weston's two blocks away, if I go I'm going to miss my bus. And you said you didn't want me to be late for school, right?" I said, eyeing him carefully this time. "And you do bake! You're the one who bakes me cookies to keep my mouth shut up when I'm about to cry!" I added.

He sighed and let out a smile, unable to resist my charm and finally giving in. "I'll send in a box of brownies later, does 11 sound good?" I nodded clapped my hands enthusiastically.

"Thank you, thank you! I promise I'll overtime whenever you need me, I'll come by later—"

"You're not going in later." he said and I placed a hand on my waist. He pointed a pencil at me and spoke, "You have that thing after school, something with that boy what's-his-face," he said almost amusingly. He had that small smile on his face and it was something I grew to be familiar with, especially when he was teasing me about something.

I let out a sarcastic laugh, "Haha, thanks for that. Now I'll have no choice but to go because I am reminded once again for what seemed to be the seventh time since last night. All because of your constant teasing by the way." I glared at him as I jumped off the stool and took off my apron and placed it neatly at the kitchen door's hanging rack.

"That's because you wouldn't stop talking about Tristan." I heard him from the front room. I rolled my eyes and fixed my uniform.

"What ever happened to calling him what's-his-face?" I asked when I got out of the kitchen to meet Pete. He let out a shrug and I grabbed my school bag that was placed on the counter, by the cash register and faced him again while he held a paper bag that was right in front of me.

Excitedly, I opened the bag and looked inside, aha! There it is. "It's a sandwich and you got cookies in there for your friends. Don't hog it all." he warned and I snatched the bag away from his hands and smiled.

"Thank you! Don't forget, 11 okay?" I said when I opened the door and finally stepped out of the diner, letting the seven o'clock sunshine and warm Stars Hollows air greet me for the day.

Pete's Grill was a diner-café located at least a few minutes outside of the town center, but still within Stars Hollow. It was next to a barber shop, I think one that Taylor Doose owns. The man had owned lots of businesses and almost included that one diner guy's business or building, Luke's Diner. It all seemed bizarre that he had a hold in almost everyone's lives in this small town but I have to say, Taylor does a great job doing it. I was just glad that Pete's diner was out of it and that Taylor did nothing to Pete just yet, since they seemed to be getting along just fine, I think.