05.

chapter five. eyes up, blue eyes.

IT WAS A week right after seeing Tristan visit the nursing home. I haven't wrapped my head around the thought of him making his unknown and unexpected visit — one of the thoughts I still tried to make sense out of, despite its lack of clarity — so I never got to tell Cara, Khaiden, or Rory right away for that matter until this morning, with Cara being the first one to hear the news. Somewhere between the conversation, I even told her that I lived with my grandfather and that the nursing home is my home. She took the news well, but on Tristan's part...

"No?!"

When I nodded as a response, Cara gasped and was on the verge of laughing. I, however, managed to stop her immediately as we passed by a couple of students, to which she has noticed right away too. We talked in silence until we got to her locker. She opened hers after entering the combination and placed her bag inside. I waited right beside her and leaned against the other lockers and listened to her ramble on.

"Everyone has their thing going on around here, like some extra activities to do that goes on our credit. Take us for instance, I help volunteer at the library and Khai makes his dance lessons on Saturdays. Chilton gives us the freedom to choose any social activity that falls under the school's listed organizations, and the popular kids never go for these things which is fine considering that they won't be wasting people's times, but a nursing home," she hissed at the last part, inching closer to me now.

"There is no way, on the surface of the Earth and under the same breathable air that we and Matthew Perry and Leonardo DiCaprio breathe in, is Tristan using his time to make his visits at a nursing home, specifically the one that's coincidentally yours." she spoke with a tone of disbelief and amusement.

I slouched in place and listened to her explain more about why the popular kids never take these extra activities. The reason was somewhere between them not wanting to do 'boring people's stuff' and thinking that they are too cool to help a couple of people out. The bottom line of all this is that popular kids, like Tristan, Summer, and whoever takes part their clique or distinguish themselves as the 'rulers' of Chilton are a bunch of spoiled and elitists brats who do nothing but think for themselves and their entitled personas. The conversation went on and Cara was abruptly stopped by Khaiden's presence.

"So what is this about our very own Chilton prince?" I smiled at the sight of Khaiden with his pack of gummy bears, who was also scooted close to us which made us look more suspicious by discussing about someone. Gossiping, for that matter. Cara waited for my response and I simply nodded, "I'll tell you the small things. Hayden will fill the details at lunch." Cara winked at me.

"Aw, why can't it be now?" Khaiden whined.

"Because class is about to start in ten minutes," I interjected as I took a piece of red gummy out of the packet. "I'm headed this way." I pointed the first door to my right. Cara and Khaiden followed my finger's direction and groaned one after the other, realizing that my first class for the day would be consisting of me and other students taking a test from our English class, and who would want their first period of class to be spent taking a test? It's only eight in the morning, people!

After we wrapped up our brief conversation, we all said our goodbyes and headed to different directions, just in time for the bell to make its final warning ring before class starts. I saw our English teacher, Mr. Medina, walking along with some other students who seemed to be prying off of the test that he has in hands. Some even asking him if the pointers he had given the week before were all going to be included in the test. Mr. Medina only smiled but gave no response other than 'If you studied, then there would be no problem in answering the test'.