04.

chapter four. surprises.

THE BELL RANG and everyone got up from their seats and immediately dashed through the doors. The last period ended and I was glad that nothing much happened — other than this morning's incidents and my encounter with Tristan, I could say that nothing topped it off and the rest of my afternoon went smooth sailing.

"Miss Santiago, could I speak with you for a minute?" our Philosophy teacher, Mr. Browne, stood up and asked me to have a word with him. I gathered my notes and stood in front of his desk, "Yes, Mr. Browne?"

"I have an upcoming quiz regarding Virtue Ethics, it's on Wednesday but since you're new, you can take it on Friday." he said and handed me a thick binder. "That's most of the readings on the lesson, but I suggest you ask one of your classmates to lend you their notes. It's much more detailed and all explanations are there."

I flipped through the pages of the binder, worried that I have to learn all of these in less than a week. "I'll ask someone on the way out,"

He nodded, "Good. If there's anything you need to clarify, I'm either here or in the faculty room." and this time, I was the one who gave him a short nod and he dismissed me right after. I left the room and roamed the hallways, making my way to the other side of the school where my locker is.

When I got my things ready, including my now dry yet foul-odored blazer thanks to Summer and friends' bathroom scheme, I closed my locker and swung the book bag strap over my shoulder, then headed towards the exit. Just when I thought the halls seemed peaceful despite the student chatter and its usual end-of-the-day-vibes, my head snapped towards the other direction where two voices seemed to be in an argument.

"...come on Paris, I said I was sorry for butting in like that. But I'm not going to apologize for participating in class and joining the school paper,"

"Oh that's exactly likely of you. I specifically told you that the Franklin and Harvard would be my domain, which means I would really appreciate it— nay, command you to back off. Your chances of going to Harvard aren't going to cut it."

"Which is why I decided to go for the school paper. I'm starting to think you're intimidated by me."

"It's definitely the other way around, Rory. I've had at least thirteen on-going extra curricular activities..."

I stopped walking to wonder if I heard it right. Rory as in Gilmore, Rory? I immediately headed off to where they were talking and right there I saw two girls standing in the middle of the hallway. One had long light brown hair who seemed to be very aggravated by some situation I ought to know of, and one had the same dainty features like that of a fairy only this time, she wasn't in her usual jeans and sweater outfits. It was a different look, but it was the same person I once knew back in Stars Hollow High.

The two were still talking, or the other girl continued on in a fast pace. She wasn't happy with Rory and I could see that she was trying to tick Rory off into backing out of something. I immediately took notice of Rory's discomfort when the girl was clearly making a scene by her shouting, and Rory just standing there to take in every single insult the latter threw at her.

The idea of not being close with Rory did not stop me from going up to them to stop the commotion, "Is everything alright here?"