06.

chapter six. pair ups and partners. 

THE OLD CLOCK kept making the same ticking sounds, as it echoed in the silent corridor we were in. Almost forty minutes had passed since second period and I spent that time inside Headmaster's office telling him that I had nothing to do with any of this. I convinced Charleston, at my very best attempts, that I was tricked by Tristan into thinking that he was going to lead the way back to our Chemistry class, but he didn't and we both ended up where we were the moment Charleston saw us. I like to think that I did my best, but with the way he looked while I was telling him my side — unfazed and clearly not impressed, I don't think it will do the trick of getting out of a possible detention session.

I sat with my head leaning on the wall next to me, while Tristan was few seats away from me doing God knows what. I secretly looked at him, seeing that he was just looking at the empty desk in front of him. He was quiet, and as I tried to wonder what caused his sudden silence, I found no luck in coming up with answers. 

Did I do something to upset him? I didn't think so. If there was anyone who should be upset or mad for some sort, it should be me. He got me into this situation, and he was the one who pulled his trick sleeves out to mess with me and drag me along with him. I found it very appalling at how he had the audacity to make me feel bad instantly for something I didn't do. I kept replaying everything from Medina's class to when I let him lead me to the lab room, yet I still couldn't figure out what went wrong.

I let out a frustrated sigh, coming to the conclusion that the theories I had in mind weren't as realistic as it sounded and there was no way I could understand Tristan and his broody self.

Ironically as the minutes went by, the silence seemed to be more deafening that I couldn't handle the dead air, and so I sat up straight and let out a cough before allowing myself to break the silence.

"You're awfully quiet this time," I softly spoke and slowly turned my gaze towards him. He still had the same blank look and gave me no response, not even a glance back at me to acknowledge what I said. I continued, "Headmaster Charleston says I'm like Rory, because he didn't expect this from either of us."

Still nothing. I let out a sigh and because I didn't want to sound in need for a conversation, mainly just to let out my frustration, I gave myself a few minutes before speaking.

"I could lose my scholarship just by getting into trouble like this. And you know what's funny?" I asked, this time catching his attention. "You can get away with this."

I returned to face my body at front while folding my arms together, letting out a faint sigh to cover up my frustration. A few minutes of silence and Tristan's laugh was the next thing that I heard. I looked to find him still laughing aimlessly.

I shot a brow up, "What are you laughing about?" I was somewhere between feeling confused and annoyed, because I clearly did not see the part where this all felt amusing and all sorts of funny. To him, on the other hand...

"Would you stop that?" I snapped yet he kept laughing. What was so funny about all of this?

"You really think you'd be losing your scholarship, over something like this?" he asked. I thought to myself. Well, no! But there has to be a consequence for this. I spoke, "I'm not even here for a month yet I'm already in trouble, which is your fault by the way."

He shook his head, "Charleston's not gonna do anything to you. And if there's anyone in trouble, it's not you."

"And how are you so sure about that?" I asked just as his laugh slowly came to a halt.