}2{ - The Power of Berries

In Livia's mind, President Snow should be viewed in front of marble pillars hung with oversized flags.

It was jarring to see him surrounded by the ordinary objects in the room.

Like taking the lid off a pot and finding a fanged viper instead of stew.

What could he be doing there?

Her mind rushed back to the opening days of other Victory Tours.

She remembered seeing the winning tributes with their mentors and stylists.

Even some high government officials had made appearances occasionally.

But she had never seen President Snow.

He attended celebrations in the Capitol.

Period.

If he had made the journey all the way from his city, it could only mean one thing.

She was in serious trouble.

And if she was, so was her family.

A shiver goes through her when she thought of the proximity to the man who despised her- who will always despise her.

Because she outsmarted his sadistic Hunger Games, made the Capitol look foolish, and consequently undermined his control.

All she was doing was trying to keep herself and Peeta alive.

Any act of rebellion was purely coincidental.

But when the Capitol decreed that only one tribute could live and you have the audacity to challenge it, she guessed that was a rebellion in itself.

Her only defense was that she was driven insane by a passionate love for Peeta.

So they were both allowed to live.

To be crowned victors.

To go home and celebrate and wave good-bye to the cameras and be left alone.

Until now.

Perhaps it was the newness of the house or the shock of seeing him or the mutual understanding that he could have her killed in a second that made her feel like the intruder.

As if this was his home and she was the uninvited party.

So she didn't welcome him or offer him a chair.

She didn't say anything.

In fact, she treated him as if he was a real snake, the venomous kind.

She stood motionless, her eyes locked on him, considering plans of retreat.

"I think we'll make this whole situation a lot simpler by agreeing not to lie to each other", he said, "What do you think?"

Livia thought her tongue had frozen and speech would be impossible, but she answered back in a steady voice, "Yes, I think that would save time."

President Snow smiled and Livia noticed his lips for the first time.

She was expecting snake lips, which was to say none.

But his were overly full, the skin stretched too tight.

Livia had to wonder if his mouth had been altered to make him more appealing.

If so, it was a waste of time and money, because he was not appealing at all.

"My advisors were concerned you would be difficult, but you're not planning on being difficult, are you?" he asked.