}16{ - Finnick Odair

Livia realized when she woke the next morning that she and Peeta had fallen asleep watching game tapes.

She had to pry herself from his arms just to make it to her prep appointment.

Having been through prep with Flavius, Venia, and Octavia numerous times, it should have just be an old routine to survive, but she hadn't anticipated the emotional ordeal that awaited.

At some point during the prep, each of them bursted into tears at least twice, and Octavia pretty much kept up a running whimper throughout the morning.

It turned out they really had become attached, and the idea of Livia returning to the arena had undone them.

Combine that with the fact that by losing Livia they would be losing their ticket to all kinds of big social events- particularly her wedding- and the whole thing became unbearable.

The idea of being strong for someone else had never entered their heads and Livia found herself in the position of having to console them.

And since she was the person going in to be slaughtered it was somewhat of an annoyance.

It was interesting, though, when Livia thought of what Peeta had said about the attendant being unhappy about the victors having to fight- about people in the Capitol not liking it.

Livia still thought all of that would be forgotten once the gong sounded, but it was something of a revelation that those in the Capitol felt anything at all about them.

They certainly didn't have a problem watching children be murdered every year, but maybe they knew too much about the victors- especially the ones who'd been celebrities for ages- to forget they were human beings.

It was more like watching your own friends die- more like the Games are for those in the districts.

By the time Cinna showed up, Livia was irritable and exhausted from comforting the prep team- especially because their constant tears were reminding her of the ones undoubtedly being shed at home.

Standing there in her thin robe with her stinging skin and heart, She knew she couldn't bear even one more look of regret.

So the moment he walked in the door she snapped, "I swear if you cry, I'll kill you here and now."

Cinna only smiled, "Had a damp morning?"

"You could wring me out." Livia replied.

Cinna placed his arm around her shoulder and lead her into lunch, "Don't worry. I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don't hurt anyone but myself."

"I can't go through that again." Livia warned him.

"I know. I'll talk to them." Cinna said.

Lunch made her feel a bit better.

Pheasant with a selection of jewel-colored jellies, tiny versions of real vegetables swimming in butter, and potatoes mashed with parsley.

For dessert they dipped chunks of fruit in a pot of melted chocolate, and Cinna had to order a second pot because Livia just starting eating the stuff with a spoon.

"So, what are we wearing for the opening ceremonies?" Livia finally asked as she scraped the second pot clean.

"Headlamps or fire?" Livia joked, knowing this year she'd be representing district twelve in something that was coal related.

"Something along that line." He muttered.

When it was time to get in costume for the opening ceremonies, her prep team showed up but Cinna sent them away, saying they had done such a spectacular job in the morning, there was nothing left to do.