4. The Human House - Part 1

"An abandoned train station?"

I flipped the sleeve of a sweater into my suitcase with my toes and kicked down the lid. I switched my phone to speaker mode while I wrestled with the zipper.

"Yeah," I replied. "Did you know that they call them 'ghost stations'? How cool is that?!"

"Is it underground?" Mum asked. I heard a spoon clink against the side of a porcelain bowl.

"No, it's on the side of a mountain. The tracks even go over a dam. Apparently it used to be used by people working on an electricity station up there."

"And you won't be scared? You always hated haunted houses."

I succeeded in closing the suitcase and heaved it onto its wheels. I grabbed my phone as I wheeled it out of my room and down the hallway to the entrance. The layout and architecture of our apartments were such a perfect match that sometimes I still expected New to come out of the kitchen with a protein jelly bag hanging from his teeth, or to bump into a philodendron's stalk chasing the moving sun.

"Actually, I don't know if I hate haunted houses, Mum," I said cheerily. "We never went to one when I was younger."

"Because you hate them, dearie." The spoon clinked a little louder.

"No, because Sasin hates them." My fingers absently traced the frames of the photos I'd put into the same shelves that New had filled with books. "In fact I'm going to one tonight. It'll be kind of like training."

"Hah?" Mum audibly spluttered out her congee. "That has zero to do with an old train station. Since when is there a haunted house open in the middle of winter?"

"Wait, you're the one who made the comparison first."

"I suppose I did."

"Anyway, I think this is more like an escape room place, but according to Arm they set up a temporary haunted house as promo for that new movie that's out, and when I said I'd never been to one, he booked us a spot straight away."

Mum sighed through her nose. "Weerayut always did love those gory horror movies."

I laughed. "It's the make-up he loves more than anything, I think."

"I suppose he's planning to critique the make-up on all the monsters at this house you're going to?"

"Surprisingly, no." I eyed the pile of white material purposefully dumped unfolded in the corner by my couch to make it wrinkle. "Because it's a reverse haunted house. The guests are the ones who have to dress up as monsters, and the staff are going to be humans."

"Oh? So do you have to scare the staff?"

"No, the humans will be the ones doing the scaring. It's supposed to be some kind of social commentary."

"Alright, I guess that's interesting. At least it won't be quite so scary for you."

"Mum, I'll be fine. I'm nearly 30 years old, please."

"Is New going with you?"

"Yeah, Off recommended him a boba tea place next door if he didn't want to join, but he said he likes haunted houses. Why?"

"Good. He'll look after you. That Jumpol will film you crying for his Instagram account thing before he helps you. I'd usually count on Weerayut, but I remember him getting very distracted when we all went to that museum exhibition a few years ago, and you got your arm stuck in that piece of armour."