12. The Dead Date

I decided to make as much fun for myself as possible that day. It was grey from the very start, tinted the colour of dark pewter, and the buildings, shrubs and even the usually upbeat Saturday pedestrians looked flat out the windows of New's car. Around us everybody was driving slower than usual, and I had a cow-lick at the front of my hair that I had not put there on purpose. New's arm was free of wrappings and healing nicely, but I'd seen it before he put on his sweater and it looked a bit like a yellow and purple tie-dye job gone wrong. Despite the universe seemingly giving me all these OK signs to sulk, I didn't feel like indulging it. My first successful gambit against sulking was sending New a text message whenever we drove through a green light.

[You better have booked us Fast Passes.]

"Text message received from ghost emoji-ball and chain emoji at 9:24am: You better have booked us Fast Passes," his car read out loud.

[And you better spend all your money today, Khun Cheapo.]

"Text message received from ghost emoji-ball and chain emoji at 9:25am: And you better spend all your money today, Khun Cheapo."

[I'm expecting sausages on a stick, fairy floss, caramel popcorn, one of those novelty buckets to carry the popcorn, a cute character ear headband thing, dinner at that fancy steak restaurant with the red velvet chairs, and Turkish coffee at 8pm when the fireworks go off.]

"Text message received from ghost emoji-ball and chain emoji at 9:31am: I'm expecting sausages on a stick, fairy floss, caramel popcorn, one of– Message deleted."

New raked his fingers through his fringe while I kicked my feet on the dashboard.

[Hey! Don't do that!]

"Text message received from ghost emoji-ball and chain emoji at 9:31am: Hey! Don't– Message deleted."

I threw my hands up and flipped my phone between my fingers a few times to stop myself from breaking my self-initiated silent treatment. New adjusted the view on his GPS slightly but otherwise acted like he couldn't see me play-raging-but-maybe-not next to him. When I felt the words finally give up on trying to come out of my mouth, I returned to jabbing them onto the screen instead.

[New Thitipoom! The only reason you won was because I felt sorry for you – and also YOU CHEATED – so don't think I'm under any obligation to go along with this date in any way that I don't want to. Besides, it's pretty terrible of you to put this poor girl through a date with a guy who has no intention of seeing her again after it. I know you happily ignore my feelings all the time, but can you really ignore hers? You can't, right? So let's just turn around–]

"Tawan." New's voice halted my typing. "Why are you bothering to write that novel when I can just delete it before my hands-free has read any of it?" He stopped us at a red light, indicator clicking gently, and raised his eyebrow at my phone. I raised mine back.

"I need to vent. And I like your car's voice."

"You like my car's voice..."

I took my feet down and patted the dashboard sweetly. "Nice try, but your car repeats me way sexier."

"You think my car is sexy..."

"I didn't say that."

New turned us into a carpark entrance. A few cars were lined up at the ticket gate. The driver of the front-most car was unbelted and hanging half out of his window, trying to reach the machine dangling a ticket just out of his reach. New's mouth twitched into a smile when he saw it. "We're here. Thank god."