25. The Extraordinary Haunting - Part 1

I was underwater. Fully so, a grey film over my eyes with a blue-green shimmer in the corners. My hair was fanned and waving above me like I'd seen dense crow feathers do in a storm. My upper arms seemed heavier than any other part of me as I struggled to keep them at my sides and not reaching for the dome of light overhead that could have been in a sky, or perhaps just as likely in yet more water – at any rate a number of attempts early on had proven that it was much too far from my fingers. When I did manage to wrestle them under my control, I used them to push a pen across a piece of paper. Don't ask me how it worked, it just did. I didn't think there were many logical rules to this place, so there was no point being surprised at the things that were happening – had happened — would happen.

Anyway, I was happy that my favourite blue pen that I used for editing had somehow joined me in limbo. I pushed down against the force of the water, throwing out words that were easier to write than I had told myself they would be my entire life and death, and yet also heavier (literally, getting one word on that page while my biceps kept acting like swimming floaties, trying to drag me to the surface, was very difficult).

Muk, I wrote, squinting through the thickness of the water. A pair of strong legs kicked a person in circles around my head. Bubbles popped against my mouth. You shouldn't have pushed me into that swimming pool when I was little. I think I could have been taught to be a little more careful sometimes. Maybe a little less quick.

Also your husband has been an arsehole, and just because he doesn't have any friends, it doesn't mean I have to accept his arsehole-ness any more than anyone else. You 'cut him some slack' because you love him. I won't because I don't, and I think I deserve much better friends – which I've already found for myself.

Anyway, thanks for being a great dad. But some days I really wanted a sister. You know you've never once stuck a wet finger in my ear? Or teased me about a bad school grade? Or acted embarrassed when you had to defend me from bullies in front of your friends? What kind of sister lets all those opportunities go?

I hate you and I thank you and I love you. I hope that this gets us both out of the water to somewhere we can breathe cleanly again.

A pink whale swam slowly by, grinning with straw-like teeth, and the legs kicked off after it.

~~~~

Header: https://images.app.goo.gl/ss9t3BHMJrTrNLD18