8a. The Conflicted Caves

[Fuck off. And bring me back a starfish or something. I love those little freaks.]

Muk bared her teeth in a boxy smile as she read the text on my phone. "That's Oab Code for 'I'm a hungover sad boy who ate too many sausages and drank too much whisky'," she said. "The guy does not know how to appreciate when he's had a good time, I swear. Which, considering how many good times he's had over the years, must be exhausting. Tell him to take an aspirin and go buy us a watermelon, would you."

"Gladly."

Muk led Sasin, New and I through one last border of tall, scraggly beachside brush – after twenty minutes pulling ourselves along great clumps of the stuff in the unclaimed lands at the end of Grandma Nart's street – and the four of us caught our breath looking down the edge of a short cliff made of black rock. Beyond the drop swept the ragged, yellow-sanded edge of the world, turning in and out of itself like a wave. The day carried a little grey in the sky, but it only made the darker blue of the sea seem more mature. The wind was coming in strong off a nearby channel, and it promptly wreaked enthusiastic havoc on Muk's hair and Sasin's harem pants before it whipped the hat from my head directly into New's face. Muk laughed and pulled it off him, and I saw his eyes visibly soften looking at her crescent-shaped features.

No, envying my married older sister was not an option. Besides, we shared very few of the same tastes. I really loved mango, for example. I added it to my watermelon text to Oab and sent it on its way. I couldn't have any, but it was always fun watching Muk fail to avoid getting some mixed into her punches or salads whenever we had it hanging about.

"How did you and Oab get together, Muk?" New asked once he was free of flying accessories. Muk lengthened her philtrum – a move she'd grown fond of since having some kind of telepathic connection with a bunch of alpacas in Peru – and took Sasin's hand. The two of them began the mildly treacherous descent down the narrow ledge in the rock face. Old folktales had it that it used to be a pilgrimage point, and was worn into the cliff by the feet of monks.

"I'm not allowed to tell that story," Muk replied with a shrug. I jumped down behind them kind of recklessly.

"You can tell whatever story you want," I said tightly.

Muk cleared her throat and twirled her free hand over her shoulder. I felt New take a step onto the rock at my heels. "Our Tay has such a sweet face that you may not believe me when I tell you he has one hell of a glower, Newwiee."

I slipped on a loose stone. "Who said you could call him 'Newwiee'?"

Muk's cheek puffed from the side to give away her grin. "Earth." She glanced back, white kaftan flapping between us. "Oho, there it is."

"It's just the sun glare." I shielded my forehead with a stiff hand. Muk, Sasin and even New in the corner of my eye all stared up at the cloudy sky.

"Yes," Muk chortled, "the sun is glaring, alright."

"Sis, just tell the story already," Sasin cut in, his elbow needling Muk's kidneys. "Tay is friends with Oab again anyway."

"What?" I carefully toed another loose piece of rock over the edge. "What makes you think that?"

"I saw you talking in the kitchen. You looked chummy to me. It's different to how you are with Off-bro and Arm-bro. You two are the original Tom and Jerry, before you and New-bro"

"Far from it," I replied quickly. The silent presence behind me was huge.

"Bro is always so excited to see you, bro."