Chapter 33

Hello all! I'm sorry for not updating on time recently. I've had a severe case of writer's block for this story (wink wink), but I will try to update consistently.

Anyway, enjoy the chapter! (Also, a bit of swearing in this one)

Leah POV

I should probably try to get some sleep, but I already know that the rest isn't worth the nightmares. I had already gotten nightmares before, although they were decreasing, now more and more memories rose to the surface.

They pushed their way back to the front of my brain, reminding me of everything. And I couldn't handle that. I needed some space from my brain. But that was impossible. So I went to the next best thing.

My drawing pad.

I leaned to the side of my bed, making sure to stay quiet because of the other two sleeping soundlessly in their beds, and opened the drawer of my bedside table. I rummaged around the items in the drawer, cringing when I made a loud noise, but eventually found my sketchbook.

I hadn't drawn anything in a little while, but that was only because I usually draw as a distraction from the real world. Whenever I felt angry or upset or anything like that, I get out my sketch pad and get lost in the drawing.

I grabbed my pencil and brought the end of it to the paper, letting my hands move freely as I got lost in my thoughts. The only sounds in the room were my pencil moving across the paper and the occasional shuffle of my blanket to find a comfortable position.

I didn't know what I was drawing, but it didn't really matter to me. I just wanted to try calming down and getting tired enough to just sleep. Or just get distracted until the morning. Whichever one comes first.

* * * * * * * *

The beeping of my alarm woke me up. My limbs ached as I opened my eyes, finding myself sprawled across the bed and the sketchbook at the end of the bed.

I pushed the button on my alarm clock to stop and crawled on the bed, snatching up the book and scanning the picture on the page. I didn't even remember falling asleep, but I guess it worked because I didn't have any nightmares.

My fingers traced the lines as I looked at the drawing, taking in all of the details.

On the page, there was a girl hugging somebody. Their faces were hidden, but it looked like the other person was supporting the girl. I never know how I can draw things without actually thinking about it, but it really helped portray what I felt without filtering anything. Everything was on the page. And it kind of scared me. I could see everything that I felt, and anyone else could too if they looked at the paper.

The drawing kind of reminded me about the beginning of my relationship with Lucas. We were happy and I could always go to him whenever I was upset, or angry, and I could talk to him about anything and he would just listen. It didn't matter what I would talk about; my dad, school. He would just sit and listen.

That was one of the things I missed about our relationship. Sure, I could talk to Mary about a lot of things, but it just made me feel like a burden. It's just, it's different talking to a close friend and talking to a loved one. I never used to feel like I was annoying Lucas until he told me, but I always felt that was with Mary if I told her my problems.

It was confusing.

I don't know how or when it all went south, and I guess that was just kind of the thing I hated. I don't know if it was my fault, or if something happened to him. He just...changed.

Well, it doesn't matter now. I'm in a better place, with better people, and all I need to do is be careful about where I go from now on.

And even though what happened at the party was scary, I felt safe when I saw Vlado. The kind of safe I used to feel with Lucas.

So, I guess I didn't have anything to worry about then.

Right?

Unknown POV

Lucas slammed his fists on the table and splinters flew. But I didn't flinch. If you flinched in front of Lucas and you worked for him, then you'll have a bullet between your eyes in seconds.

"Vlado can't just leave well enough alone," he growled. "He needs to remember that I mean business." He glared up at me and the woman by my side.

"I need you two to make sure that Leah finds out about Vlado. I don't care what you do, just get it done."

We nodded.

"Good, now get the fuck out of my office."

Without a second wasted, the two of us left his office.

It was a real shame that the ambush hadn't worked, but it was good that Vlado was making people watch Leah. It will give us the opportunity to get some thoughts inside of Leah's head, which will make it easier to stress her out and stay away from Vlado.

I looked at the redhead next to me and gave her a grin. She smirked back, and we didn't even need to talk as we walked side-by-side.

We already had a plan.