Chapter 49

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone so interested in this book! Your comments motivate me to keep writing, and I appreciate you all. I hope you all enjoy this chapter and have a great day <3

Leah POV

"Sorry."

Vlado frowned when I sucked in a sharp breath as he cleaned the cuts on my cheek. He stood between my legs as I sat on the bathroom counter.

As soon as Romero and Theo forced a wailing and kicking Amelia out the kitchen, Vlado immediately grabbed a first aid kit and led me to the closest bathroom, determined to clean my cuts.

"It's ok," I mumbled, putting all my attention on steadying my breathing. His face was so close to mine, I thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest.

Vlado reached over into the first aid box, pulling out some band-aids. "You handled yourself well with Amelia."

I looked at him with a smile. "You know that first hand."

He laughed, his minty breath fanning lightly on my face. "Don't remind me. Theo won't let me hear the end of it. He says it reminds him of George McFly punching Biff. That man watches too many movies."

I laughed softly, careful not to breathe in his face. I had no idea what my breath smelt like, and I was not going to risk it right now.

Vlado looked at me for a second, like in admiration, before he quickly tore away his gaze. "You've always been a fighter, haven't you?"

I scoffed, leaning into his hand lightly. "Obviously not. Have you already forgotten about Lucas? I would have left him way earlier if I actually had the guts."

A gentle smile graced his face, and his fingers brushed against my cheeks, carefully avoiding any cuts. "You did eventually. That's what matters."

My heart swelled. I tried to think of something, anything to prove that he was lying or trying to trick me, but his eyes bore into mine intensely. And every thought flew out of my mind.

I flung my arms around Vlado, catching him by surprise. He quickly wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into his firm chest.

"Thank you," I whispered as I pulled back slightly. Vlado held firm, staring right into my eyes in a way that had my heart beating out of my chest. My tongue darted out to kiss my lips, and his eyes followed the movement. 

Maybe it was the adrenaline rush or the sudden surge of confidence, but whatever it was, I found myself leaning in. The feeling shattered into a million pieces when I noticed Vlado leaning back. My pain must have been obvious, because he immediately tried to comfort me. "I'm sorry, I just think the adrenaline from Amelia and everything--"

I threw myself back instantly, avoiding eye contact at all costs. "It's fine, you can just say you don't want to, we're both adults."

Vlado frowned but moved on. "I have some work to do, so you'll have to spend some time with the others."

I didn't waste a second and agreed, hopping off the counter quickly and bolting out of the bathroom. As soon as I was out of sight, I smacked myself on the forehead. What the fuck was I thinking? I'm going to be regretting that for the rest of my life.

I bee-lined for my room with Mary and sunk into my bed, cringing as the moment replayed in my head over and over and over.

Kill me now.

* * * * * * * *

It had been a few days since I had a proper conversation with Vlado. Whenever we were in the same room, he left almost immediately, and I felt awful. Had I made things so awkward that he couldn't stand being in the same room as me?