Chapter 12

"I want to tell my sister."

Sin's fork full of eggs stops a few centimeters from his parted lips. He only hesitates a moment, eyeing me as he bites the eggs and chews. Arrow doesn't he even look up at me as he stares at his breakfast. Only a cup of yogurt in front of him this morning.

Finally, Sin shrugs like he couldn't give a shit less. "Okay." He says, stabbing another forkful of eggs.

"Okay?" I ask like I can't believe what I'm hearing. Because really I can't.

"Who you tell is your decision," Sin nods. His dark hair falling into his eyes. Something in me wants to reach forward and brush it away with my fingers, but I shove the urge down. "Just remember the consequences."

And there it was.

"Consequences? What do you mean?" I press, leaning against the countertop.

Sin shrugged again. "They'll be a target for information, just like you." He says it like I should already know all this. Like I'm fully equipped in gang life.

"How would they know?"

Sin looks up at me. His green eyes flaming with an intensity I don't really expect. "In this world, someone is always watching, Ivy." I nearly fall over when he uses my first name. I actually have to take a step back to keep myself from stumbling and falling on my ass. And I could've sworn a bit of a smile tugged at the corners of Sin's mouth before it disappeared. Smug bastard.

I shake my head. Clearing my thoughts- or trying to. "I don't understand. I'm still here with you and I'm going to leave. I'll still go back into Sin Sity and live the rest of my life. And my sister can't even know what's going on?"

There's a small clang as Sin's fork drops to his plate. "Do you want the truth?" He asks. Arrow steals a glance at Sin out of the corner of his eye. It's the first time he'd shown a hint of interest in this conversation. It peaked my attention even more.

"Yes," I sigh. "I want the truth."

"I had every intention of killing you when I walked into your office." Well he certainly didn't sugar coat it. "That's why I walked right in without bothering to hide my identity. Arrow was in your apartment to pack a bag- make it look like you just took off, skipped town."

Something in my gut twisted and I felt like I might puke. They had it all planned. These two had planned my death.

I wanted to sit down. Because I felt as if the world had just tilted on its axis but at the same time I didn't want to show them how much this fucked with my head. I didn't want them to know that I was afraid. I hadn't been afraid in my office. Not when he walked in. Not when I told him off. I hadn't been. And now- knowing everything I know, apparently I should've been very very afraid. How brilliantly naive of me.

"So why didn't you?" I manage to keep the shake out of my voice and Arrow looks up at me this time. But only for a second.

Sin keeps my gaze. His green eyes fighting with mine. I feel like he's searching me. And for some reason, he's somewhat amused by what he's found. "You surprised me."

"Gee, that really clears things up." I snark.

Sin almost smiles, his cheeks tug upwards. Some might even say it was a smile just without teeth but I know better. His dirty little grin is not a smile. It's not sweet or kind or gentle. It's just as fucked up as he is.

"If you want to tell your sister, then tell your sister." Sin easily changes the subject and goes back to his eggs. Arrow starts looking very interested in his yogurt again but doesn't make a move to eat it.

"You won't have her killed?"

Sin shakes his head. "I won't, but someone else might."

"Sin," Something in my voice makes him look back up at me. His eyebrows furrowing. "Please. I'm asking for your help."

This time he glanced at Arrow who doesn't move. The only thing I can see is his ashy hair as he stares down at his yogurt. When Arrow doesn't look back, Sin turns back to me and nods once. "I can get an unmarked car to bring her here tomorrow, just to prove you're safe. Just once."

Relief relaxes my shoulders so much so that I want to melt into a puddle right here in the kitchen. "Thank you." I say.

"You know this means you stay, right?" Sin asks, his eyes narrowing as he waits for my reaction.

I nod. "How long?"

"End of the month, at least."

Arrow's chair scrapes across the hardwood as he stands. He doesn't look at either of us. Just walks out of kitchen leaving his untouched food on the counter.

Sin doesn't say anything, his face a mask of indifference.

Today is the 17th. Two more weeks in this.

At least I get to see my sister. She'd know I was okay and it would all be fine. Two weeks. It's nothing.

Sin stands, cleaning his plate and grabbing Arrow's dishes too. I watch him put it all away. Cleaning and wiping down the tables afterwards. I imagine it's my blood he's cleaning of the granite table tops. My DNA he's wiping off with a napkin. My life he's shoving into the trash. Like nothing. Because I was nothing to them.

"Sin," I stop him before he can walk out of the kitchen. He pauses in the doorway, turning back to look at me over his shoulder. "Why did you let me go out to that club with you?"

Sin's cheeks tug in his signature grin. "Curiosity." He says before he turns and leaves the kitchen.

If it wasn't clear before. It was now.

I. Am. Nothing.