Chapter 28

My lips parted in shock and I take a step back. This time, Sin's arms fall from my waist just as Isaiah walks out of one of the rooms with his phone in hand.

"Your sister," He holds the phone out to me. "She wants to speak to you."

I snatch the phone from him and press it to my ear. "Meg?"

"V, you better explain what the fuck is going on or I'm going to kick someone's teeth in."

She's so angry that if the situation were different I'd probably laugh. But it's not. And her life was on the line.

"Please don't- I know this is a disaster and I know I've been awful but please please go with them. For me." I know it was a selfish card to play but I was running out of them. It was one of the only ones I had left.

"Don't. Don't do that!" She snips back. "Explain what the fuck is going on."

I look at Sin, who shakes his head. "It's dad."

The line is quiet for a moment and Sin's stare turns into a glare. "Jared?" Meg finally asks.

"No." I shake my head like she can see me.

Meg is quiet again.

"He was trouble," I say vaguely. "And now we're in trouble."

"Is he dead?" She's asking if our entire childhood was a lie. If our father was indeed dead like our mother had told us. And the truth was- I didn't know. But our childhood certainly wasn't what it seemed and I didn't have the heart to break it to her over the phone.

I squeeze my eyes shut and grip the phone a little harder. "I don't know." I admit.

She takes a breath. The only indication that it affected her at all.

"Amber is with me." She says and I wince.

I try to keep my voice neutral when I respond. "Okay. That's okay."

"I didn't know this was happening, she was over and then they showed up and they escorted us both out."

"It's okay, Meg. It's not your fault. We're_" I stop myself mid sentence. I hate that I said "we" like Sin, Arrow and I were somehow together or some kind of twisted team. "We're going to figure it out."

"Okay." She says.

"I love you." I tell her.

"I love you too."

The line cuts off and my chest tightens.

Arrow takes the phone from my hand and slips an arm around my waist.

A numb feeling slides down my back.

Fuck was I tired of this bullshit.

I thought that Arrow and Sin had turned my life into a shit show but it turns out my life already was one and I didn't even know. I hated to admit it- but these two fuckheads coming into my life might've just saved me. Me and my sister. And I hoped they didn't realize it too or they'd never let it go.

"What now?" I ask, glancing up at Arrow. He looks down at me with a hardened look on his face. I wasn't sure I'd ever get used to that look on his face.

He looks at Isaiah. "Do you have any Italian contacts here?"

Isaiah nearly winces. "I know a guy... but he's probably not what you're hoping for."

"Doesn't matter," Sin steps in. "Set it up, let's go."

Isaiah raises an eyebrow. "It's not even 6am. Plus the guy probably won't even be awake until at least two."

Sin grumbles something under his breath. "Fine, meet us back here at two."

Knowing he's been dismissed, Isaiah walks past us and heads out the door. Exchanging a quick half-smile with Arrow as he does.

The tension in the air grows thicker and I want to run back to Arrows room and bury myself under the covers.

Thankfully Arrow breaks the silence before my attempt to run for it.

"There's only two bedrooms, Poison but I'll take the couch and you can_"

"No," I interrupt him. "I'll sleep with you." A cat-like grin spreads across Arrow's face and I feel my cheeks get warm. "If that's alright..."

Arrow's arm tightens on my waist and he curls me into him a bit further. "What's mine is yours." He winks down at me.

I open my mouth to reply and but a hand wraps around the back of my neck and whips me around. Arrow's arm falls from my waist and I'm not sure its because he's surprised or because he'd really never stop Sin from wrenching me away from him. The thought left a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Sin puts us nose to nose. He has to lean down to make it happen but he's no less terrifying. His green eyes are dark and clearly he's pissed. The cold indifference is gone. And to be honest, I think I might prefer it over this.

"Let's get one thing straight," He grits out. "You don't get him."

Something like fury boils through me but I shove it down and try to keep my voice even. "What does that mean, Sin?"

"He and I," His eyes flit back to where I assume Arrow stands. "We're a package deal. You don't get one."

"Can't I just return you and keep him?"

His jaw flexes and the hand holding the back of my neck tightens. "You're a fucking pain in my ass." Some of his accent leaks through and it's so hot that I have to remind myself to be strong and not melt into a puddle on the floor.

"You haven't exactly made my life easier either!" I snap back.

He laughs, letting his head fall back a bit from my face. "You'd be dead if it wasn't for me. I saved your life."

"I saved yours too," I remind him. His laughing fades. "Or I at least saved Arrow's, which is probably good considering you two are a 'package deal'."

"Do we have to do this now?" Arrow groans behind me. "It's too early for this shit."

"Go to bed then." Sin says, glancing up at his friend. When he looks up, I see some of the tattoo peaking up from the base of his neck. I think it might be a snake. It's hard to tell- it's too low down. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a neck tattoo.

He looks back down at me, eyes morphing for just a brief moment before they turn cold again. His hands loosen and I start to back up but he catches me by my hips. Gripping them- he tugs me closer. My hands press against his chest as I try to move back.

"Sin," I say as he looks down at me. "What are you doing?"

He doesn't say anything. He just leans down. His lips connect with my jaw and my whole body goes loose and tight all at once.

I should pull away. Shove him. Slap him.

But I don't. I stand perfectly still as his lips trail down my jaw and caress my neck. I let out a hiss when he finds the sweet spot at the base of my neck and sucks on it.

He blows gently on my skin before whispering:"I'm keeping my word."