School

"Wake up, sweetheart," Jack said, shaking me gently awake. "You've got your first day of school today."

I felt the bed dip as he sat down beside me and stroked my hair back off my face. I opened one eye. Like always, he was dressed impeccably in an immaculate designer suit, tailored specially for him. Did lawyers always have to dress well? I had no idea. My other brothers dressed like that too, and they weren't lawyers, so I didn't know. Maybe they just really liked suits.

I screwed my face up. "Don't wanna," I whined. "I wanna stay home."

Jack chuckled and ruffled my hair. "Sorry sweetpea, you've got to go to school."

I groaned. "Please Jacky? Please let me stay home?"

"Nope." Jack's voice was gentle, but I knew he wasn't going to budge. "It's a good school, we all went there. I think you'll like it."

Jack helped me sit up. "So I've got to go to school to satisfy your sense of nostalgia?"

Jack pulled away my covers, rising to his feet. "No, you're going to school because it's a legal requirement."

"But you're a lawyer. Can't you get me out of it?"

Jack chuckled again, but I could tell his patience was wearing thin.

"Lawyers don't make the laws, sweetheart."

I pouted. I hated feeling like a burden to Jack.

"Fine, I'll get up," I grumbled. "But the uniform is ugly and I'm not going to like it."

"The uniform is not ugly!" Jack insisted. "It's perfectly fine."

I tried to raise an eyebrow at him, the way all my brothers did to me, but it didn't work. I ended up looking like a constipated rat and Jack grinned at me, like he was trying not to laugh.

"Go and get your uniform and bring it to me," he instructed. "I want to see how ugly it is."

I swung my legs over the side of the bed.

"Fine. You'll see."

I scurried into my wardrobe and fished the uniform out of the corner where I'd thrown it yesterday, and handed it to Jack. "See? It's ugly."

Jack turned it around in his hands, shaking it out in front of him, frowning slightly.

"Hmmm."

"Told you," I declared smugly.

"Put it on," Jack told me, handing it back to me. "It might look better on."

"Doubt it." I scoffed. "But okay."

"Good girl. I'll get your breakfast organized. Yogurt and fruit okay?"

I nodded, turning my attention to the ugly uniform. "Thanks."

Fifteen minutes later, I wandered slowly down the stairs, butterflies going crazy in my stomach, with my ugly uniform on, my hair up in a messy bun, and my brand new bag on my back with all my school supplies inside it, including my new laptop and phone.

Nick was the first one to see me and he grinned. "All ready for school, sis?" He was dressed in an immaculate suit too, and he had his hands wrapped around a steaming mug. Beside him, Logan was tucking into a plate of bacon and eggs. The smell of them curled my stomach.

"Except for this ugly uniform." I groaned. "Jack said it would look better once I had it on, but it really doesn't."

Logan glanced up at me and burst out laughing. Nick smacked him upside the head and glared at him, but he didn't really stop. And I can't say I blamed him. The boys uniform was black pants, a white shirt and navy tie with the school logo on it; all very normal. Meanwhile I looked like I was on my way to a convent.