Grandfather's Strap

I was frozen to the spot right next to my stool, my gaze fixed on the scene playing out in front of me. My big brothers were in trouble, and it was because of me! My heart pounded in fear as Damon lectured Alex and Jack sternly, but Logan clearly wasn't afraid. He was grinning, clearly highly amused, and taking great delight in watching our big brothers get brought down a peg or two.

I tuned out most of Damon's lecture, but I did hear him tell them to straighten up, stop slouching, and have some respect. Both Alex and Jack did stand up straighter when he said that, as though they were in the military or something. I didn't really understand why they were accepting their telling-off, though. Why didn't they argue with Damon, tell him where to go in the way that I'd been tempted to do many times? They were both big, strong, men. Mafia men. Both capable of fighting and killing, probably with their bare hands. I'd seen what Alex did to Dominic. Why was he standing there and letting Damon scold him, without defending himself? And what about Jack? He was a lawyer - he literally got paid to argue his case. What was going on?

Logan was transfixed.

"I should be fishing Grandfather's old strap out of storage to deal with you two," Damon growled, his voice deep, rumbly. "You two want to fight like children, I'll treat you like children."

I leaned closer to Logan to ask him if Damon was actually going to spank then, but he put his hand over my mouth, silently telling me to shut up. The way Damon is scolding them, it's almost like he's forgotten Logan and I are here, watching the whole thing, and Logan obviously doesn't want to attract any attention to ourselves and have his morning's entertainment ruined.

Part of me was secretly hoping Damon was going to pull out the strap. Part of me wanted to see Alex and Jack getting their asses set on fire, especially after Alex had spanked me just a few minutes ago. Absently, I reached back to rub my still-sore butt.

"150 push-ups," I heard Damon say sternly. "Right here in the kitchen. Logan, come here. You can keep count."

Logan got down off the stool. "My pleasure," he said, smirking down at Alex and Jack who had both already dropped into position on the floor. Both of them glared at Logan fiercely, and if looks could kill he'd be shriveling up on the spot, but he didn't look at all bothered. If anything, he looked to be enjoying himself even more. Stepping closer, he put his foot on Alex's back, between his shoulder blades, and pressed down.

"Hop to it, big brother."

"You'll pay for this later, you little shit," Alex snarled, but Logan only laughed.

"It will be worth it," he insisted.

Jack and Alex were doing push-ups on the floor in unison, with Logan counting out loud beside them, when Damon led me into the other room and sat me down on the couch. He pushed the ottoman over and placed my foot up on it, and had a quick look at my knee. It wasn't swollen any more, but it still hurt.

"Why are you grumpy, Carrie?" he asked, sitting down beside me. "Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"You can give me back my TV power cord," I snapped at him.

I was expecting him to tell me off then, but he didn't. Instead, he just smirked.

"Not happening."

"Well when will I get it back?" I whined.

"In the morning," he told me firmly. "Now tell me why you're grumpy."

He looked at me intently, making it clear he was waiting for my answer, but I wasn't inclined to give him one. Until he hardened his stare and raised one eyebrow in that stern look that sent shivers down my spine.