Left Wing

Carefully, watching over my shoulder for my brothers, I led the way to the deadbolted steel door barring the entry to the forbidden wing. Fortunately, my brothers were nowhere to be seen, so I stuck the key into the lock and turned, pushing the heavy door at the same time. Quickly, I summoned my friends inside, then let the door fall shut behind us, trapping us in there.

So far, it looked like a perfectly ordinary house. A carpeted hallway led to an open room at the end, and there were doors off the hallway. A light came on above our heads automatically, lighting the windowless room where we stood. There didn't look to be anything interesting here at all. Why all the secrecy? What did they do in here that was so terrible, that I wasn't allowed to come in?

"I don't like this," Petra whined. "Please let's just go."

Ignoring her, I took a few steps down the hallway, towards the room at the end. But before I'd taken more than half a dozen steps, the steel door flew open and my brother's rough voice ordered us to freeze and put our hands in the air.

I squeaked in fright, turning to face the voice, holding my hands up just like he'd said, only to see Damon and Alex with guns leveled on us.

Petra looked like she was about to wet herself, and my other friends looked as terrified as I was.

As soon as Damon and Alex saw it was us, they holstered their weapons, but their anger didn't dissipate any.

"What the hell are you doing in here?" Alex demanded, his voice loud, scary. "You know better than to come in here. What the hell were you thinking, bringing your friends into the business wing - the one place in the house you know you're not allowed to go?"

"Is there anybody else in here with you?" Damon asked, his voice low, but terrifying.

I shook my head frantically. "No, just us."

Damon pointed to the door. "Get out. All of you. Upstairs to your room. Now!"

Damon looked, and sounded, far scarier than I'd ever seen him. If it was actually possible to die of fright, the five of us would surely be dead. We would have withered up on the spot. As it was, we were too scared to move and stood there, frozen, trembling in fear.

"Move!" Damon ordered. He sounded so scary that we dared not disobey, but we still couldn't make our feet move.

Alex stepped forward and put his hand on my shoulder, squeezing hard, letting me know in no uncertain terms that I was in trouble. So. Much. Trouble.

He propelled me forward with his grip on my shoulder. He marched me upstairs quickly, with my friends scurrying along behind.

I could hear one of them sniffling; terrified out of her skin, no doubt. My brothers were scary at the best of times, and these most definitely were not the best of times. These were absolutely petrifying times, and I had no idea what my brothers were going to do.

Once inside the safety of my bedroom, Alex made us all stand against the wall as he and Damon stood in front of us, their arms crossed in a powerful, intimidating stance, and lectured us harshly. I tuned most of it out, but I couldn't entirely ignore the angry tone they were both scolding us with.

Obviously aware that I wasn't really listening, Damon came to stand directly in front of me and lifted my face up to meet his, with one finger under my chin.

"There's stuff in that wing that could put your lives in danger," he told me sternly. "Now you can say goodbye to your friends, Alex and Paul will take them home. You're going to be punished."

I gulped and tears filled my eyes as Frankie hugged me goodbye. One after the other, I said goodbye to my friends. This night had started off so well. We'd been having so much fun, and my friends were all meant to be staying over. And now.... What had I done?