Bath - Chapter Twenty•Two

Matteo Romano

I didn't wake Davina until I had gotten her into the apartment. I would have just let her sleep, but I wanted to get her wounds cleaned out and bandaged up.

I carried her into the bathroom that was located in my room and I set her down on the counter. She leaned her head back into the mirror behind her and closed her eyes.

I was looking for supplies to clean her cuts with but I paused when I heard her voice.

"Fuck, I really need a shower."

I had to laugh slightly at her.

Really? That's the only thing she has to say right now?

This is how I knew she would be okay. She may have been physically harmed but she's still the same girl that she was before.

"I don't even want you walking around because of how much blood you lost." I sounded like an overprotective parent.

I never thought I would miss seeing someone roll their eyes at me.

I saw her do it out of the corner of my eye while I was ducked down looking through a cabinet. "I see your attitude came right back."

She laughed a little. "Well considering the reason I'm so cut up is cause I told Giovanni to go fuck himself, I would say it never left."

I had everything I needed to clean her wounds, so I made my way back over to her and placed the rubbing alcohol, bandages, cotton balls, and a wash cloth on the counter next to her.

"And exactly why did you tell him to go fuck himself?" I was curious as to what he had done or said to Davina at any point of her being there.

I ran the cloth under the warm water from the sink and started to gently rub it across her skin where there were patches of dried blood while she continued her story.

"He wanted to know what type of work I did for you and what you were planning." It seems like the typical questions to ask someone. "I didn't say shit to him for pretty much the whole time I was there. It was so easy to piss him off that way, it was written all over him that I was getting under his skin."

She took a small pause when I got a little too close to one of the cuts and she tensed her body. "Anyway, he eventually got fed up with me and tried cutting me to see if that could break me. But obviously from the amount of cuts, I'm sure you can tell that didn't work either. When he asked the same question for the millionth time I told him to go fuck himself and so he knocked me out."

So she didn't give anything up to him, even after all that he put her through.

I have men that have worked for me for years and they would have cracked under the pressure. I had to know why she wouldn't tell him anything.

"Why did you stay quiet? You could have prevented at least some of this shit." My words came out a little harsher than I meant for them too.

It was like I wanted to be mad at her for defending me and not protecting herself in that situation.

Davina shrugged her shoulders before giving me an explanation. "The way I figured it, he needed me alive for the information. If I just gave into him and told him everything, there would have been no use for me anymore and I would probably be killed."