| 29 | some days are war

Some days are war but just know you've won plenty before and you can do it again.
- a. Fellow

----------

- Nicolas -

- Nicolas -

----------

"You heard it. Also look under the beds, men. Check everywhere!" we heard an unknown voice in the living room of the house.

When someone reached for the doorknob and pushed the door open, I let the movement happen for a split second and then stopped it by pushing against it with my full weight. A loud gasp of shock escaped the man, who could only see a crack in the room, before he was silenced by Tryphosa's blade.

"They're here!" another then yelled, whereupon someone tried to pry open the door. Forcefully, I pushed against it to keep them from storming our small room. Through the gap, Tryphosa could attack without the soldiers getting too close.

"There's another one! Behind you!" someone yelled from the room in front of us, at which I concluded that Orestes had snuck out and attacked the soldiers from behind.

Now two men also seemed to be pressing against the door at the same time. My strength dwindled so that I could barely hold it. The foot I held against the bottom of the door slid wider and wider. The gap grew wider and wider. One of the soldiers held a shield in front of him and squeezed through the gap, trampling over the body of his comrade on the floor.

When the door burst open, everything happened far too quickly to realize it fast enough. The two men charged into the room, pushed Tryphosa backwards while blocking her attacks. Another person entered, grabbed me by the arm and pulled me out of the room with incredible strength.

My feet caught on a body on the floor in the doorway and I stumbled. When I regained my balance, I jerked my sword up to attack, but the counterattack was already coming so hard that the hilt of my sword was ripped from my hands. My weapon landed on the floor a few steps away, clattering, and slid up to the wall of the house.

I took a step back and pulled a long dagger from my side holster before looking forward again. The leader of Cepha's army was even taller at this proximity than I had estimated him to be. His armor left no clear patch of unprotected skin anywhere except a gap for his eyes.

With my heart pounding harder, I felt thoughts racing through my head. Would my fire be able to harm his thick armor before he could overpower me? Could I do anything with my puny dagger?

"Do you surrender now?" the man asked.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Orestes struggling heavily with another soldier at the end of the room, slowly being pushed into a corner by him. In the back room, I heard sounds of fighting from Tryphosa and the two other men.