| 35 | a warrior at heart

And that was the thing about her,
she kept on surviving with bullet holes in her lungs, and knife marks etched in her back
she never let anything in her way, resilient, a fighter, not by choice, but a warrior at heart. -k.azizian

----------

- Nicolas -

- Nicolas -

----------

It took what felt like eternities to defeat the remaining soldiers. Eternities in which Victorine could already have been dragged through the entire castle. Or could already be dead.

More and more enemy reinforcements had arrived. Until the door behind us had suddenly opened. I looked over my shoulder to the rear. The dragon was still defending the entrance relentlessly. Vindicta had been replaced by another handful of witches.

The witch leader had stepped in with us, closed the door behind her, and helped us destroy the soldiers in the entrance hall. When only the last enemy stood before us, I raised my hand. "Stop, Vindicta!", I shouted before she could rip him apart in mid-air. "We still need that one."

"Fine by me," the witch shrugged. "My sisters have spread out around the castle and are working their magic. As of now, no one can get in. And no one is getting out either."

"Perfect," I said, pulling a long, sharp dagger from my leg holster. "Take your time with Xerxa. I have a little stop to make before I chop Cephas into a thousand pieces."

The witch's black eyes stared at me before she nodded slowly. "I will speak to you when I am ready." With a flourish, she turned and walked away with clacking steps.

Then silence fell in the hall as I looked down at the last soldier. "Take off his gloves," I ordered Orestes and Tryphosa, who had wiped blood and sweat from their faces.

The terrified soldier tried to fight back, but was clearly outnumbered. While more men held him down, Orestes and Tryphosa pulled off his helmet and hand guard.

"Help! Help!" the soldier now began to shout.

"There is no one here to help you," I replied in a calm voice.

"I don't know where Cephas is," the soldier groaned, breathing heavily. His brown eyes were wide as he looked around frantically.

I nodded to Tryphosa, who was now pressing his hands on the marble floor.

"I'm not looking for Cephas. I'm looking for the woman they dragged away." Slowly, I crouched down and looked at his face, which was collecting even more sweat than before.

"I don't know where she is," the soldier brought out, looking at the dagger in my hands.

I put the sharp blade to his little finger, whereupon the whole hand tightened. "Not even a guess?"