| 30 | like salt in the sea

some memories never leave your bones. like salt in the sea; they become part of you

----------

-----❅-----

- Vane -

----------

Now I knew again why I hated the country. The land itself was practically like a promise of trouble and problems. People fought over it because they could draw borders and take territories. People built castles and kingdoms on the land to expand their power.

You should try that on the wild sea. Any of those landlubbers would fail miserably at it. The ocean could not be divided, on paper perhaps, but not literally. Likewise, it was not to be taken, and so it should be. The ocean was the only untamable place far and wide. Where one could be truly free.

At least that's how it had been before Cephas had taken this freedom away from me. And my entire crew their lives.

But as it looked, my crewmen were far from being the only ones to lose their lives. People were fleeing around me. Died. Children and women and men, all of them.

"Clara!", I shouted after ripping open the door to the bar and running through the inn. "Damn it, where are you!", I screamed the frustration out of me as my heart pounded to my throat.

After Victorine had flown off with the horribly large raven and the creepy witch, and Nicolas had gone off somewhere, I hadn't been able to find Clara anywhere in the inn. I had no idea where she had gone while Victorine and I had been training.

For a brief moment, I stopped. My breath was shaky. I felt nauseous from anxiety and stress.

The image in my mind's eye followed me every step of the way. A bright, freckled face. The only person in this world I had loved almost as much as the sea. Her bright blue eyes had given me the taste of blue depth, stormy love and salty separation for the first time.

I shook my head and concentrated again. If she hadn't come back here, then she must have found shelter somewhere else. At least, I hoped so.

The grip on my sword, borrowed from King Nicolas, tightened as I ran back to the front door. Opening it cautiously and squinting outside, I quickly closed the door again and stared at the dark wood. There was no such thing. Surely I hadn't seen that properly.

With a racing heart and the feeling that I was about to wet my pants, I opened the door again a small crack wide and looked in the direction of the castle. High in the sky, a huge black dragon was raging and setting fire to everything below. And I vaguely recognized some more dark flying creatures. I truly did not want to know which inhuman beings were still fighting on the ground.

Feverishly I considered where I should go. If I went to the left and thus toward the happening, that would be my sure death. Dead, however, I was of no use to anyone, so I hoped that Clara was not in that direction and decided to look for her a little further away.