4.

𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

【Courage】

    Oh. Rexton had an epiphany in the motel room. One of his friends must have left him here after the party. He noticed the burnt amber like sunlight straining through the windows on both sides of the entrance door. The sun's setting. Rexton wanted to go home already, perhaps his friends were in a different room. He walked to the entrance door and opened it.

    Rexton was met with a narrow platform and metal railings, it became clear he was on the second floor of a small quiet motel. The heat of the Californian Sun embraced his body. Looking down, he saw a tiny swimming pool with a tint of dark green sewer-like water. Rexton looked further and straight into the parking lot, he noticed almost all the spots were vacant.

    Except for one.

    A black van was the only parked vehicle to be seen for as far as Rexton's eyes could go. His heart pounced, none of his friend's cars looked like that. That's not his car either.

    He hoped it would be a friend of a friend. Or maybe one of his friends bought a new car without telling him. He hoped his excuses were true. He believed them to be true. Rexton calmed down and continued to look around. The motel was placed next to a lonely one way road in the middle of nowhere.

    It reminded him of favorite childhood show, Courage the Cowardly Dog.

    The whole area seemed arid with only dead yellow grass, empty lakes, and trees that were barely hanging on. Signs of life were invisible, or weren't there at all. Rexton turned around and walked back inside his room, shutting the door behind him. A stilled silence takes over the motel as the sun dipped lower, and all that was heard for the next few seconds was the ever so silent wisp of the wind. Until the black van door opens.

    For what comes next, just like his favorite childhood show—Rexton is going to need courage.