CHAPTER 2

So go have fun
I really couldn't care less
And you can give 'em my best, but just know
- Therefore I Am, Billie Eilish

Ellie woke up in the next morning to the dreadful sound of plastic scratching on concrete.

It was still mostly dark inside the room, probably because of the thick curtains. However, a quick look on her phone showed that it was only 8am, quite early in the morning. But how was anybody supposed to sleep with that noise going on outside?

Curious as to what was causing the disturbance, Ellie sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. The room had cooled down over night and after tentatively sticking a foot out from under the duvet, she decided to keep the blanket on. Pulling it tighter around her shoulders, Ellie took the cover to the window with her and peaked through the curtains.

From her room, which was facing away from the mountains and towards village, she had perfect sight of the area by the front door. With excitement, Ellie noticed that it had snowed during the night; the driveway and the parts of the road she could see were covered in at least a few inches of snow.

Right below her window was a figure in thick winter clothes who was shoveling at the snow with a plastic snow shovel. Each time the person would push the shovel over the driveway and carve a little snow-free line, there was a loud scratching sound. Looking closer, Ellie recognized Quinn who was wearing head-to-toe ski clothing.

Ellie slowly went over to her closet where she had put her clothes the previous evening and pulled out some items for today. Usually, she never got dressed before breakfast as she liked to relax in the mornings and take her time but she felt weird walking around in this unfamiliar house in her pajamas.

Reluctantly, she peeled out of the duvet and got undressed, shivering from head to toe in the morning cold that had set in the room. Her outfit for the day was basically just jeans over leggings to keep her legs warm, a T-Shirt and a thick sweater. Ellie did not like winter clothing all that much. She thought it made her look at least two sizes bigger than she actually was because of how thick it was. The colder it got, the more clothes she had to layer and the larger she looked.

After putting on wooly socks with little pineapples printed on them, Ellie finally went down to the living room, only to find the house abandoned. There was no sign of hers or Quinn's parents and she awkwardly wandered around the house in hopes of finding someone to talk to.

Her stomach rumbled, a loud signal for how hungry she was. But it would be very inappropriate and rude to just take things from a stranger's fridge, would it not? Ellie felt a little weird in this unknown house and did not want to overstep any boundaries. 

Just when she decided to go back up to her room and wait until Quinn was back inside so she could ask her for help, the front door opened and the girl in question waltzed into the house, snow falling from her boots. After her, Pasta entered the hallway, his tiny body wrapped in a ridiculously small, red dog-sweater.

"Oh good, you're up," Quinn noticed, beaming at Ellie as she stripped of her jacket, "I haven't had breakfast yet. Are you hungry?"

Ellie nodded, awkwardly waiting for Quinn to first rid herself of the thick ski trousers and shoes and then help Pasta out of his tiny jacket. Underneath her skiing clothes, Quinn was still wearing her pajamas.

"What would you like for breakfast?" Quinn asked, opening different cabinets and placing multiple cabinets on the countertop, "Usually I just eat some toast but if you'd like something else that's totally fine."

"Do you have cereal?" Ellie came two steps closer, examining the contents of the currently opened cupboard.

"Sure, what kind would you like?" Quinn opened the door of a cabinet and pointed to the different boxes inside, "chocolate flakes, honey nut Cheerios, normal cornflakes... I think there must be some fruit loops somewhere, too..."