CHAPTER 7

So let's pretend we like each other like, ah-ah-ah-ah
This room is so suffocating
Walking on ice, but nobody breaks it
Stuck in this one-way conversation
Guess I'll be here for awhile
- People I Don't Like, UPSAHL

Within a short period of time, Ellie and Jodie grew quite close. Ellie continued to go over to the café almost everyday, helping Jodie with her work and baking together whenever they had the time. For Ellie, Jodie almost felt like a big sister she never had or a young, cool aunt. Since Quinn still went skiing often, Ellie frequently took Pasta to the café. Jodie even bought a little pillow for him to lie down onto and some treats that they gave him occasionally. It seemed like Jodie adored the little dog almost as much as Quinn did.

At the beginning of February, not quite a month after Ellie had arrived in Frostfields, Ellie made the mistake to forget the time. She had spent the day at the café again and today, Jodie had closed a little earlier. She had told Ellie that Liana wanted to take her on a date and that she wanted to bring some cookies. Ellie helped her bake and decorate them when suddenly, she noticed it was already four pm.

"Oh shit!" Ellie cried out, accidentally knocking over a can of sprinkles, "Oh no, sorry!"

"What's wrong?" Jodie asked as they both scooped up the sprinkles that had not fallen to the floor.

"I completely lost track of time!" Ellie said, "And Quinn will be back by now! She doesn't know that I go here so often and she'll be really angry if she sees that I took Pasta again."

"I mean, we're almost done here already, so you can go quickly," Jodie replied, "maybe you'll get there in time."

"But the sprinkles..." Ellie looked at the mess on the ground but Jodie shook her head.

"It's okay. You can vacuum the floor next time you're here as a compensation."

She said it with a chuckle and Ellie laughed quietly.

"Thank you," she giggled. As fast as possible, she put on her jacket, stuffed her beanie and gloves into the pockets — no time for any of that — grabbed her scarf, threw it around her neck messily and stormed out to the front. She grabbed Pasta, scooping him up in her arms and waved Jodie a quick goodbye before she practically ran out of the café. The weather was nice today, the sun was shining and it was not as cold so at least Quinn could not yell at her for exposing Pasta to cruel conditions. Hopefully the blonde girl was not home yet!

Ellie sprinted down the road, up the stairs that led to the house and unlocked the door with the key Janet had given her. As soon as she entered the hallway, she was greeted by an oddly calm voice.

"Where have you been?" Quinn stood in the kitchen, pouring herself a glass of water and side eyeing Ellie. As soon as she noticed Pasta in her guest's arms, she went over to Ellie and took him from her, cuddling the little dog to her chest.

"He's ice-cold, what did you do with him? I came home ten minutes ago and nobody was here!" She asked, still very composed. Ellie knew that Pasta was indeed not ice-cold but she decided not to say anything.

"I just took him out for a quick wee," Ellie lied, taking off her jacket, "didn't you see us?"

"No, I didn't," Quinn replied. It was obvious that she did not believe Ellie for one moment — or that she did not want to believe her — but she did not say anything other than that. Now Ellie also noticed why her host was so weirdly calm instead of throwing her usual tantrums. Behind her on the couch, all of Quinn's friends were sitting, watching TV and looking over to where Ellie and Quinn stood. Of course, the blonde girl did not want to embarrass herself in front of her friends and act unnecessarily rude towards her guest. What a hypocrite! Ellie shyly waved at the others and got a few smiles and waves in return. That was, until Quinn moved to block her view.