CHAPTER 6

All the things she said
Running through my head
- All the things she said, t.A.T.u

"Hello!"

When Ellie turned up at the café the next morning, she did not bring Pasta with her. That morning, Quinn had announced that she would take him with her to Lone Pine where she was supposed to meet Dash. Apparently, the two of them wanted to spend the day together at his place. Of course, Quinn had not told this to Ellie, she barely even looked at her the entire morning. But while Dan and Philip had gone out to collect more plants, their wives had stayed behind, chatting at the kitchen table. Ellie had joined them, listening to their conversation and sometimes chiming in as she had munched on her cereal. Strangely enough, Quinn had gotten up after her this morning, coming down the stairs when Ellie was already halfway finished. She had eaten her toast standing at the counter, loudly proclaiming what she was about to do that day. Ellie had ignored her.

"Hi there!" Jodie opened the door for Ellie and let her into the café, "Back to work again?"

"Yes," Ellie sheepishly rubbed her neck and then started to peel out of her jacket, "I really enjoyed helping you out yesterday and at home, I'd just be alone all day so it was an easy decision."
"Well, I feel honored that you'd rather work with me than have a relaxing day to yourself," Jodie chuckled, "I didn't have time to set the tables yet, would you maybe do that?"

"Sure!" Ellie took the tag from Jodie's hand, pinning it to her chest again and then started to fill the mugs on the tables with serviettes. Jodie was cleaning some glasses, occasionally going into the kitchen to look at the cakes she had in the oven. There was a delicious smell wafting through the room, of cake and coffee and Ellie inhaled deeply a few times.

"You're staying with the Reynolds', right?" Jodie asked all of a sudden and waited until Ellie nodded, "Don't they have a daughter your age? Why aren't you spending time with her?"

"Um..." Ellie arranged the mugs on the table she was working on without meeting Jodie's eyes, her cheeks turning red, "Quinn and I don't really... we don't really get along."

"Oh, what's the problem between the two of you?" Asked Jodie, "I've only met her once or twice but she seemed like a nice girl — and I'd say the same about you, so...?"

"Thanks," Ellie got even redder in the face, "I don't really know to be honest. She seemed to hate me from the minute she met me. We've kind of been ignoring each other for the past weeks but it's still weird."

Jodie put two and two together.

"Is that why you came here yesterday?" She asked, "You didn't want to spend all day with her?"

"Kind of," Ellie admitted, "she skis the whole day and I... I don't want to be around her too much so I go out a lot as well. I think she's annoyed by my presence."

"Well, I certainly am not," Jodie smiled at Ellie, "so if you'd rather spend all day here at the café, you can always come over."

"Thank you," Ellie returned the smile and brought the leftover cloths back to the table, "I always have to be back before her, though. She doesn't like when I leave her dog alone — or when I take him with me, for that matter."

"She seems to care about him a lot."

"She does," Ellie sighed, "about two weeks ago, on my second day here, she snapped at me because I went on a walk and left him at home."

"I'm sure she'll come around," Jodie reassured Ellie, leaning against the counter and running a hand through her short hand, "maybe she's just not used to having someone else around all the time."