CHAPTER 17

Sorry I didn't kiss you
But it's obvious I wanted to
Bubble gum down my throat and it's a curse
But my luck couldn't get any worse
- Bubblegum, Clairo

The next morning, Ellie barely managed to get out of bed. Quinn and her had stayed up long after their parent had already gone to bed, lying on Quinn's bed and chatting — and kissing. During the night, Quinn had also told Ellie that her friends would be coming over the next day.

"I'm sorry for not telling you earlier," she had said, "I just completely forgot. They'll be coming over around three and then we'll see if we're going to watch a movie or just talk. I hope that's okay with you but I haven't seen them in quite a while."

"Of course that's okay with me," Ellie had replied in all honesty, "they're your friends, you can see them as often as you'd like."

"Thank you, but... Dash will be coming, too, obviously. He's already complaining that we can't spend as much time together as he'd like to because of university. If he only knew the truth..."

"Hey, that's totally fine. You do whatever you feel comfortable with. Don't worry about me, I won't be pissed off if you kiss him or anything. I mean, he is your boyfriend."

Of course, Ellie was not too happy when she thought about Quinn kissing Dash but she knew the circumstances and would never blame Quinn for that.

What she would blame her for was keeping her up for so long. When Ellie came down to the kitchen, she was still so tired she feared that she would fall asleep as son as she sat down. Of course Quinn was already up and stood in the kitchen, drinking out of a white mug. The whole kitchen smelled of coffee.
"You look tired," Quinn greeted Ellie with a grin, "long night?"

"My brain is not capable of joking yet," Ellie replied and slumped down at the table.

"Coffee?" Quinn offered her a cup, "I know you don't usually drink coffee but it might help."

"Sure," Ellie grabbed the cup and took a sip, "thank you."

She looked around the main floor.

"Where are all the adults?"

"My mom is at work but I don't know where our dads and your mom are. Probably out and collecting some plant samples," she scoffed, "when I came downstairs earlier, there was a patch of pee on the floor because dad didn't let Pasta out — he can be so forgetful when he's working."

"Sounds exactly like my dad," Ellie sighed, "do you need help with cleaning it up?"

"No thanks, I already cleaned it before you came downstairs."

"Jeez, for how long have you been awake already?"

"Just an hour or so," Quinn shrugged, "I woke up kind of early but didn't want to wake you."

"I appreciate it," Ellie chuckled. The coffee seemed to be working already because she felt a little more awake as she kept taking tiny sips. Quinn came over to her with a plate of toast and sat opposite of Ellie, offering her a piece. For a little while, they both ate their toast in silence, until Quinn spoke up.

"Um... Fiona and Lillian asked me if I wanted to go skiing with them this morning. They said they would meet at the ski lift in half an hour — would that be okay for you?"

"Of course," Ellie nodded, "Quinn, they're your friends. You can spend as much time with them as you want."

"But I thought since we already won't be on our own this afternoon, we should at least spend the morning together."