CHAPTER 19

And here it is, our final night alive
And as the earth runs to the ground
Oh girl it's you that I lie with
- As the world caves in, Matt Maltese

In the span of a few milliseconds, a million thoughts ran through Ellie's mind. They did not close the curtains! Somehow must have spotted them! Were their parents home earlier? But they had not sent any messages — then again, Ellie had not checked her phone that day at all. What would they do to Quinn now? Would they throw her out?

For a short moment, she contemplated running up the stairs to her room and dragging Quinn with her, hiding away until this would turn into a bad dream. Then she snapped back into reality and sat up on the sofa, turning to see who was the intruder.

It was Dash. Quinn's boyfriend stood in front of the big windows, disbelief clear on his face, his fist still in the air where he had banged it against the glass. Quinn was already on her way to the door and opened the glass door while Ellie hurriedly got up from the couch and tried to look as innocent as she could.

When Quinn opened the door, she and Dash stared at each other for a few seconds.

"What the fuck, Quinn?" Dash finally asked in a shout.

Quinn's bottom lip had been quivering before and as soon as Dash spoke up, she burst into tears. Dash came into the room and shook the snow off his boots.

"What the fuck?" He repeated like he could not think of anything else to say, "Seriously, what is wrong with you? Why would you do that? Did I do something wrong? Quinn, talk to me!"

Quinn still stood in front of the window, her hand clutching the doorframe while the wind blew cold air into the room.

"Quinn!" Dash wrung the door from her and closed it soundly, "Look at me!"

Ellie awkwardly stood in front of the sofa and watched the scene unfold right before her eyes. Quinn still stood rooted to the spot while Dash shouted at her. He sounded angry, of course he did, but there were tears in his eyes as well and his face showed confusion over any emotion. When he raised his hands to grab Quinn's shoulders, she finally came back to life.

With a force that neither Ellie nor Dash seemed to have expected from her, she slapped his arms away.

"Don't touch me!" She shrieked, her voice quivered with suppressed sobs, "You don't get it!"

"Get what? That the girl I love just cheated on me? That's true, I don't get it!"

For a moment, they just stared at each other. Dash clearly expected a sort of explanation. His arms were still in the air like he did not know what to do with them and he tried to make eye contact with Quinn but the blonde girl avoided his gaze and stared straight ahead. It was like both of them had forgotten that Ellie was still in the room.

"Fuck."

All of a sudden, it seemed like all the anger vanished from Dash's expression and all that was left was emptiness. He slumped down on the couch's armrest and buried his face in his hands. Ellie could see his shoulders shaking from behind. Quinn looked like she wanted to comfort him but did not how to. She raised her hand and then dropped it again; opened her mouth but no sound came out.

"Dash..." she finally managed to say. The boy on the sofa did not look up.

"Dash, I never wanted to hurt you-"

"Well, you just did," Dash interrupted her, bitterness seeping from his words.

"Will you please let me talk for a minute?" Quinn said vehemently.