Chapter 1: Welcome

─────•~❉~•─────

─────•~❉~•─────

WHEN ARWEN OPENED her eyes she didn't recognise the pale walls of her bedroom or the dark fabric of her sheets. The last she could remember, Arwen had gone to celebrate her friend, Melanie's, birthday at some nightclub but ended up going home to watch movies with the birthday girl instead. She must have passed out on the couch but now, waking up, Arwen found herself in the woods alone.

Looking down, she could just see through the darkness that she was still wearing her clothes from the night before – she must have forgotten to change before nodding off on the couch at 3am. A simple black t-shirt, and a blue denim jacket with short, fake fur around the wrists and the collar. Arwen's black boots, despite being a little muddy and covered in wet foliage, still were in good condition, so if she did sleepwalk it did no damage. The only thing Arwen could be irritated by was the dampness of her pants and back; it must have rained here recently. Wherever here was.

Getting onto her feet, Arwen looked around to see unrecognisable undergrowth and trees. No gum trees of any kind in sight, no dried bark and leaves and twigs that crackled under her feet loudly as she walked – but there was cold fog, estranged foreign trees with entangled branches, and mossy, damp soil with a few sticks but barely a shred of tree bark. So, Arwen was definitely not near her place since the only kinds of woodland around her apartment had what she was used to.

Arwen shivered, goosebumps rising on her neck at the eerie silence through the sounds of night bugs and cold breeze. This is not how she wanted to spend her... morning? What time was it anyways? Arwen moved to grab her phone which she found in her pocket and turned it on.

It was 4am. She didn't sleep that long. Did she sleepwalk? That's the first. Melanie, if she was awake, must be worried.

Trudging through the woods, Arwen found some reception, but it kept cutting out, so she didn't bother playing any music or anything. It made Arwen a little disappointed, music helped her anxiety whenever she was stuck in some confusing situation. God, she wished she had good mobile internet and a pair of headphones right now.

For what seemed to be ages of walking, Arwen managed to find a road – it wasn't even a second of her about to step on the hard surface when a car zoomed past her fast, and on the wrong side of the road.

Arwen's heart jumped at nearly being run over – how did she not see the car? The blonde shook her head and clenched her teeth. Fucking stupid drivers, why were they on the wrong side anyways? Probably drunk.

Nonetheless, Arwen followed the direction the vehicle went, hoping it was going into town and not out of. God, she was getting even more nervous by the minute, with every step she took her heart would skip an uncomfortable beat and Arwen almost gasped for air. Control yourself! She thought, frustrated with herself. There is no need to be so anxious, home is probably just in the town up ahead – and if you're wrong and end up somewhere else you can just turn back the way you came!