Three

A part of me found comfort in returning to school. Now that the video had exposed my powers to the world, I no longer had to hide behind a mask. I hadn't planned on becoming one of the most famous teenagers in my school, let alone in the world, but I had no choice.

I didn't have my superpowers this time, making bullying a new experience. However, with Mark, my cousins, and my superhuman friends protecting Claire and me while I worked on regaining my powers, I took solace in knowing that the supergene still existed within me.

Claire's pregnancy was advancing rapidly, and everyone knew about it, including Maximus, Mia, and Alexander, which made me anxious. Fortunately, Mark, Sarah, and my family protected her. We knew an attack on her was imminent, but we were prepared to defend ourselves. If Max attempted anything, he would regret it.

Sebastian remained as unpleasant as ever. He watched me closely as I arranged my books in my locker, surrounded by my superhuman family and friends. When Claire leaned in for a kiss, I pulled her closer, one hand gently caressing her cheek while the other rested on her baby bump.

Emotions coursed through me as we kissed, and I felt like I might start floating. However, this time, nothing happened. My feet remained firmly planted on the ground, and it seemed like an eternity until my powers might return if they returned at all.

"How are you feeling, James?" Claire asked, her eyes filled with concern. Was she referring to the fear of losing my full powers again or the impending fatherhood stressing me out? From the look in her eyes, I knew she could sense my unease.

"Babe, you're safe. Max won't dare do anything with the rest of my family and Mark to protect us. We'll have our babies and graduate, and our fathers have something planned for us after high school," I reassured her. Her gaze shifted to Noah, Mark, and Bryce.

"The local film company asked if you'd be interested in an interview about your life story," Bryce mentioned. My eyes widened, and I took a deep breath.

"Good luck with that because it's not happening, even if you try to drag me," I replied firmly.

"We anticipated that response, so we volunteered Noah in your place," Mark said. "He's much more entertaining, anyway."

"Thanks, Mark," Noah said, playfully slapping Mark's shoulder, causing him to stumble forward. Mark rolled his shoulder, giving Noah a teasing glare.

"James and I discussed it, and with the twins on the way, I don't have much of my strength right now. Drawing attention to me would likely put both of us in danger," I explained. Claire's gaze shifting towards Maximus, who glared at us from the other end of the hallway.

"Trust me, Claire. Max won't touch you with James and your family protecting us," Noah assured her, returning the glare.

"Seriously, Claire. My brother should be the least of your concerns. We've got James, and you covered," I added, clarifying that Max wouldn't get anywhere near her.

"And don't forget this feisty redhead," Sarah added, gesturing to herself. "I'm not worried," Sarah said, wrapping her arms around Noah in a bear hug. Noah turned around and lifted her into his arms before placing her back on the ground.

"Of course," Noah said, leaning in to kiss her freckled nose.

"We've got our cousins, Shawn, my dad, and Uncle Martine on our side, too," Claire added.

"We outnumber them by a significant margin. They can't withstand an army of determined fans," Mark chimed in, causing Bryce to snort.

"These fans are relentless. I could barely make it into the school this morning," I remarked.

"Same here. I've already accumulated a locker full of stuffed bears and gifts for your twins when they arrive," Noah said.

"Me too," Mark added resignedly.

"We've got this covered," Noah concluded. "Max won't lay a finger on any of the girls while we're around." I hoped he was right because if Max dared to harm Claire, my unborn children, or even approach Sarah, he would face dire consequences. I promised myself that once my powers returned, I would use them to ensure Claire and my children's safety, even if it meant confronting Alexander, Max, and Mia.