Eight

"Watching Noah become a father is like seeing you with a child, Bryce," Sebastian grumbled, unimpressed as he watched Mark and his cousin, exchanging glances across the living room.

   Sebastian was hanging out with us for the first time since he started playing nice. He told Bryce it was because he had a twin brother and a boyfriend who wasn't enough of a wimp to kick his ass, but we all had our conspiracies. Maybe he was telling the truth. Noah and Mark intimidated him into becoming the nice guy as I did to Mark, or he secretly worked with Alexander and Max as the inside man. Whichever it was, we still gave him a chance, just like we did for my cousins and Mark.

Derek, in his superhero suit and mask, nonchalantly entered the room with a half-eaten ham and cheese sandwich from a local deli. His eyes widened as they landed on Noah. "Sarah's pregnant?" Derek asked, showing no surprise.

"I forgot he was here," Noah responded his attention now on his twin brother.

"I was about to pick up Grace from work and thought I'd check if anyone wanted to join," Derek shrugged, taking another bite of his sandwich.

"I'll go," I offered. It had been a while since I had gone on a drive with Derek, and I could use one of his lectures now that I felt somewhat powerless with two babies on the way. I was sure he had plenty to say, especially since he was going to be an uncle and wanted me to regain my powers soon to assist in the search for Henry.

"We have our first training day at the station today, right?" Mark inquired.

"That's why I'm suited up," Derek replied, gesturing to his black suit adorned with a silver-plated storm cloud logo. "You're coming too," Derek declared, a decision I had anticipated.

"You're not my dad," Noah grumbled, rolling his eyes at Derek.

"True, but it looks like you're going to be one soon. You can't escape Sam, my father, and me, Noah, so get your suit on and hop in the car." Noah grunted but complied with the order.

"You're not leaving Bryce and me to deal with this mess," Mark directed a glare at Sebastian, who avoided Mark's gaze. "We're coming too."

"Alright. Everyone put on your suits and get in the car. Grace is waiting," Derek commanded, his blue eyes turning in my direction. "That includes you, James." Great. I didn't relish the idea of training, but with Noah and his siblings on board, I had no choice but to agree. Sarah's persuasive abilities had played a significant role in convincing Noah, but all of us, the "lost boys," and Grace trusted their mother and father.

Sam wasn't the villain here. He had been a pawn in Alexander's manipulative games, subjected to severe abuse and experimentation along with his children by Alexander. Given their traumatic experiences, it was understandable that my cousins and their parents had reservations about the government's training plans.

"So, I'm just staying here until you all return?" Sebastian asked.

"Nope," Derek replied.

"He doesn't trust you that much, and neither do I," Noah chimed in, tapping his temple and winking at Sebastian.

Bryce scoffed. "I wouldn't either," he muttered.

"He can sit in the back with us so I can keep him company," Mark quipped, playfully punching Sebastian's shoulder. Sebastian moved away, rubbing his shoulder and glaring at Mark.

Mark had been learning a lot about himself through Sebastian and disliked the memories of his past bullying behavior. But he recognized his growth and believed that Sebastian, too, could change for the better. People could rise above their mistakes, especially Maximus, the misunderstood villain.