009 :: THE REAPER.

RUNAWAY
CHAPTER NINE...!

!

❝ THE REAPER , SEASON FIVE ❞

FIVE ❞

NIGHTTIME was the scariest.

Being in Witness Protection, you learn to be scared of many different things. The sounds of bushes rustling when you walk past them, whenever the doorbell rang, or even just being in a room alone. But for Jennie, once the clock struck past midnight, that's when she was the most frightened.

Maybe that was an unfair observation. Because frankly, it wasn't the night sky that caused her to fear, or the darkness of the environment.

It was the nightmares she'd get every-time she closed her eyes.

The nightmares that resembled the night she encountered Foyet. The way she ran barefoot to her car, cuts and scratches placed on the soles of her feet. The way he held his gun to her as she drove with tears in her eyes. The threats he gave her if she even thought about telling anyone.

Every night, she could see his face so clearly. And every night she wished that his face would be put behind bars.

"Jen-Jen?"

The voice had awaken the girl from her sleep. The large breath that escaped Jennie's mouth had startled Jack, who was standing by her doorway. Once realizing it was him, she let out a breath of relief, rubbing her eyes.

"Jack. What— what are you doing up?" She asked him, causing him to shrug.

"Mommy snores." Jack told her, simply, as he walked over to the teen's bed, dragging his blanket with him.

Jennie let out a soft chuckle, a hint of relief in her breath, before patting the area of the bed next to her, as her little brother climbed onto the bed. There, he got under the covers.