6: Loss

Espresso felt his heart skip a beat. Out of all the things she could have said, He was not prepared for this one. "W...What..?" He managed to whisper.

She broke into sobs again. "Y-Yeah.. M... Mocha... S-S-She had.. A stroke..." Latte was shaking so violently in Espresso's arms. "About... About a week ago.."

Espresso is not one to cry. He tried to keep himself together. Right now, he couldn't worry about himself, he needed to focus on Latte. She was obviously going through much pain.

He couldn't stop himself.

He started crying loudly as he hugged Latte close to him. He couldn't believe it.. One of the only people in this entire world that cared for him, and loved him...

Was gone...

No... This couldn't be happening...

"They.. They tried to save her..." Latte sniffled. "I think. I-I wasn't giving many details... I.. I'm not doing too well.."

No.... It's just a joke. It has to be.

"I'm.. I'm so sorry, Espresso..."

No.....

"NO!!!" He screamed, pushed Latte away, and buried his face in his hands. "No..." He sobbed. He couldn't believe it. Dead.

Death is such a horrible concept.

You can never see them again. The last thing you said to them was the last thing you'll ever say to them. There's no telling when it'll happen, or who it'll happen to, no rhyme or reason... And... You miss them... So much.. But you can't do anything about it.. They're gone. It's completely out of your control, out of your power... You realize how all those special moments you had with them, will forever be forgotten, never recreated again.

"Espresso..." Latte called. "Are.. Are you going to be a-alright?"

She's gone..

Latte's mother.. has taken care of Espresso for well over 15 years... And...

"E-Espresso..?"

She's gone.

He wasn't in the mood to finish his ice cream.

He stood up. "Latte, you must be so heartbroken, would you like me to take you back to your apartment?" Espresso held his hand out for her to take.

She looked worried. "But are you alright..?"

"I'll be okay Latte. She was your mother."

"Yes, b-but you..." her voice trailed off. She sighed a shaky breath and took his hand. "Yeah, okay.. Let's go..."

They walked up to her apartment. A relatively small one, but enough to allow a person to live comfortably. The inside was well decorated, with all sorts of art.

She walked over to her bed and flopped down on it. "Thank you Espresso.. For... Walking me here..." She said as he walked over to her.

"Of course." He said holding her hand. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

She choked back tears. "L...Likewise..."

He let go of her hand and walked out of the apartment, back to his house. The crisp evening air whipped about, making his falling tears feel cold against his face.