14: Healing

The door to Madeleine's room opened, and Espresso's head perked up. He silently watched as most of the healers headed for a room in the back. One of them who stayed behind was Herb Cookie, one of the well-known healers. He was saying something to the mean lady at the front desk he couldn't hear.

He quickly stood up and rushed over to him. "I-Is he okay?" Espresso asked. "Is Madeleine alright? Can I see him??"

Latte had gotten up as well and walked beside him. Herb looked up from his conversation. "Are you two friends of his?"

He nodded nervously.

Smiling, he gestured to the room. "He's doing better than he was when he first got here, that's for sure," Herb said as they began to walk towards Madeleine's room. Espresso quickly went inside.

As he stepped into the room, he saw Madeleine, unconscious, laying in the hospital bed with bandages all over his body. There were a bunch of machines all around the bed that was honestly freaking him out. He couldn't bear to see Madeleine like this, he suddenly didn't want to be here anymore...

However, he reminded himself that Madeleine had stayed for him when he was in the hospital, and he anxiously made his way across the room and sat down in a chair next to the bed, with Latte close behind him. His eyes filled with tears, he couldn't look away from Madeleine. All he could do was hope and pray everything will be alright.

Latte sat down as well and turned to the healer. "I heard that he was in an attack protecting the village from cake monsters, is that right?"

"Yes, that's correct," he said, nodding his head. "He was with other cookies, but we're pretty sure he got attacked and nobody could save him.

"The majority of the cookies in battle were badly damaged too," He continued. "they're all here as well." Herb hesitates for a moment and gets very serious. "... Unfortunately, Madeleine's soulstone was broken in the process of fighting."

Espresso quickly looked up from Madeleine's resting body to look at Herb. He heard Latte gasp. "W-What..?" He whispered in disbelief, as his eyes began to fill with tears again.

"We're doing absolutely everything we can, trust me." He assured them. "Pure Vanilla is working on healing it at this very moment."

Espresso looked back at Madeleine and held his hand, tears of fear running down the sides of his face. "Please make sure he's okay..." He sobbed. "Please..."

Herb walked up to him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "We're doing everything we can, but it will take some time. You're welcome to stay here with him for a while if you wish."

He looked at Latte. She smiled. "If you want to wait here, I can stay with you."

"O-Only if you want to..." He mumbled, turning back to Madeleine. Espresso felt happy Latte wanted to stay with him. He was glad he wasn't going through this alone.

"Of course, I'll stay." She held his hand tightly. "I want to make sure you're okay."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Espresso nervously glanced back up at the clock. It hadn't changed since the last time he looked at it, big surprise there.

It was exactly 5:45, meaning they had been at the hospital with Madeleine for about three and a half hours...

Latte, who was still waiting with Espresso, looked like she was about to fall asleep in her chair, and Espresso was honestly wondering if he should do the same. He was pretty tired, and there was no telling how long it was going to be before Madeleine woke up...