Ch 11

"Take these plates and put 'em outside by the ketchup." Jream's grandma told me.

I took the plates, went outside, and placed them right by the ketchup.

They had just started grilling. I went back inside to see if any of them needed more help.

"We're good for now." Jream's Aunt Rita, said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes girl, go and enjoy yourself." She said.

I grabbed my phone and headed back outside.

"Hey girl!" Soraya, one of Jream's cousin said to me.

"Hey, long time no see." I said back.

"What have you been up to?" She asked.

"Nothing really just trying to make some money." I joined the grilled food line.

"Yup same. I just got a new job at this restaurant as an assistant head chef."

"Glad to see all your hard work in culinary school is paying off." I happily said.

"Mmm girl, when you get your plate come sit with me. I have some pipping hot tea."

I usually wasn't into too much drama unless I was hearing it from someone trustworthy. In that case, chile give me all the tea.

"Okay sis I'll be there." I said.

"I'm just gonna try and squeeze through." Jream put his hand on my back to cut in front of me.

"Excuse me just 'cause you know me doesn't me you can cut in front of me." I pushed him out the line.

He looked at me in disbelief, "I know, I just know, you did not push me."

"I sure did and I'll most definitely do it again."

"Hey unc, make sure you give her the most burnt food." Jream yelled out to his uncle who was grilling.

People in the line laughed while I gave Jream a straight face.

"See this is why-" Jream got cut off by some girl.

"Jream? Is that you?" The girl said.

"Alana, what? I haven't seen you in forever." They gave each other a hug.

"Girl who in the world is that?" I asked Soraya.

"Alana Nelson. That's the tea I'm talking about." Soraya answered.

I looked at her trying to see if I could remember her from somewhere but I have honestly never seen her before.

She had light brown skin and neatly done stitch braids. Her outfit was cute. She seems like a nice person.

"Desi Des, you want some ketchup?" Soraya held up the bottle.

"Huh, yeah, let me have it."

We found an empty table under some shade.

"Aight so boom, this girl literally invited herself. She heard that her grandma was coming and she tagged along. I mean I haven't seen her in 5 years." Soraya started talking.

"Before you met Jream they use be the best of friends but in 6th grade she went to go live with her dad in Manhattan. She came back in 10th grade but instead of going to the crusty school we went to. Her dad put her in a private school."

"So that's why you have no clue who she is. She left before you started going to our school."

Before, I use to go to a magnet school. So even though I still lived in the same city I didn't go to the same school as them.