Chapter 9: Someone Who Cares

Beckham

I was so confused by what had  happened. Talia was fine one second and then a flip switched and she was a wreck. I could see the terror in her eyes, but I don't know what caused it.

Seeing Talia run off with tears in her eyes broke something in me. She was always so happy and full of joy, but just then she was filled with fear and uncertainty. I never wanted to see that again. I want happy Talia back.

I ran to my room and threw on a shirt before making my way to Talia's chambers. I knocked on the door and there was no response, but a few moments later the door opened and a maid stepped out.

"Is Talia in there?" I asked.

"Yes Your Highness," the maid said with a curtsy.

"Let me in."

The maid looked uncomfortable and I rose my eyebrow.

"She's asked not to see anyone Your Highness."

Anyone or me? Did I do something? If I did I was going to fix it.

"Don't forget who you are talking to," I told the maid.

"Yes Your Highness."

The maid stepped aside and let me into the room. Talia was laying in her bed while another maid sat beside her, stroking her hair.

Talia's red rimmed eyes flicked to mine before looking away.

"Leave us please."

The maids sent Talia an apologetic look before slipping out of the room.

I walked over to the bed and crouched down so I was eye level with Talia.

"Did I do something to upset you?" I asked.

A look of shock passed through Talia's eyes.

"What? No!" She exclaimed.

"Then what happened?"

"Nothing," Talia whispered, looking away from me.

I gently gripped Talia's chin and guided her so she was looking me in the eye again.

"Something happened," I told her. "Please tell me so I can fix it."

"N-nothing happened," Talia stuttered and tears filled her eyes. "I was just surprised."

I decided it would be best to drop it and let Talia come to me when she's ready. I sat down next to her on the bed and stroked her hair.

"You can always talk to me," I told her. "I'll always be here for you."

Talia nodded and soon fell asleep. I gave her a kiss on the forehead and left.

____________________________________

Talia

I wasn't used to having anyone care about my feelings. I hadn't expected Beckham to come after me or want to know why I was upset.

I don't know how to feel about it. Part of me is jumping with joy that someone finally cares about me, but the other part is worried that he will pry and find out who I really am. I can't let that happen. I'll just have to be more careful and make sure I don't have another episode like this one again.

There was a knock at the door and Lina and Anna came in with a cup of tea.

"Thank you," I whispered and sipped the tea while they sat next to me.

"Are you ok?" Anna asked me.

"Yeah."

We were silent for a minute before a mischievous look came over Lina's face.

"What did the Prince want?" She asked.

I blushed and threw a pillow at her. She laughed as she caught it.

"He just wanted to make sure I'm ok."

"That's so cute," Anna said.

"Not you too," I groaned.

The girls laughed and I soon joined in. I was feeling a lot better.

Once we calmed down from our laughter, the girls laid in my gigantic bed with me. There was enough room for all three of us to fully spread out if we wanted to.

"Thank you," I told the girls, grabbing each of their hands.

"For what?"

"For being my friends."

The girls leaned over and hugged me. I'd never felt luckier.