Chapter 13: First Day

Talia

I was all ready for my first training lesson with Beckham. Lina and Anna gave me a tunic and leggings to wear and a pair of boots. My hair was braided back so it would be out of my face and I thought I looked good. Definitely warrior like.

"If your looks indicate anything," Lina said, "you are going to be the best female warrior ever!"

I laughed alongside my friends until it was time to meet Beck outside. Charlie came with me and we found Beckham stretching by a tree. I went over and he showed me some stretches.

"Ok. We are going to start with a run," Beckham said.

"We have to run?"

I looked at Beckham with a horrified look on my face. He laughed.

"Only three miles since it's your first day."

"ONLY?!?!"

Beck laughed again and I shoved him in the shoulder.

"Come on."

I had a hard time keeping up with Beck's long legs and was panting for breath. I had to keep stopping to catch my breath and Beck would jog in place smiling at me. I glared back at him.

By the end of the second mile, my legs felt like jello and Beck had to carry me the rest of the way. He hoisted me onto his back and I wrapped my arms around his neck while he ran back.

When we finally made it, I collapsed onto the ground.

"Are you going to be ok?" Beck asked with a lazy grin.

"Yeah. Just give me a minute," I panted.

Once I caught my breath, I stood up for the next part of the lesson. Beckham took it easy on me and taught me different fighting stances.

"You're doing great," he told me after I went through them without having to watch him.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're nimble and well balanced."

I grinned. "What's next?"

"Punching."

"Punching?" I asked.

"Punching." 

Apparently there was a very specific way to punch and doing it wrong could break your hand. Beck showed me the right way to make a fist, with my thumb on the outside and showed me how to throw a punch.

I was starting to get it when Tyler came up.

"Perfect timing!" Beck exclaimed and motioned Tyler over.

"Give it a try," he whispered in my ear.

"Really?" I asked.

Beck nodded. I took a few steps towards Tyler and without giving him a chance to think about it, I punched him lightly in the chest. He didn't even flinch.

"What was that for?" He asked.

"I told her to," Beck said.

"Why?"

"She needed someone to practice on. And you did great by the way, you just need to add some power into it," he said directing the last part at me.

I blushed and apologized to Tyler who brushed it off and asked Beck to meet him later on. Beck agreed and came back.

"That's all we're gonna learn today," he said.

I pouted and Beck chuckled.

"Don't worry. We can do more tomorrow if you can make it through the run."

"We have to run again?" I asked, appalled.

"Everyday," Beck answered.

I sighed, but agreed.

Beck led me over to the water station and poured me a cup.

"It's very important to drink water after practice," he told me.

I nodded and took the cup he offered, drinking every last drop. Beck took my cup and we sat under the shade of a tree.

"What did you think?" Beck asked.

"I liked it," I told him. "Other than the running."

Beck threw his head back and laughed. It was a beautiful sound.

"Well, you did great," Beck said, taking my hand.

"Thanks."

I tucked my face away to hide the blush creeping onto my face, but Beckham gripped my chin and turned me to look at him.

My eyes got stuck looking into his honey colored ones and the world melted away. It was just me and Beckham in our own little world.

Beckham's face got closer to mine and my breath hitched.

"Can I?" He asked, his eyes flicking down to my lips.

I nodded and Beckham's lips gently met my own. The kiss was sweet, but filled with passion. I had never kissed anyone before so I just followed Beckham's lead. My lips moved in sync with his and I was breathless when we pulled apart.

Beck rested his forehead against mine, breathing heavily.

"You're amazing," he said, looking me in the eye.

I blushed and he ran his thumb over my cheek.

"I love it when you blush."

That only made me blush more and Beck chuckled.

He got up and offered me his hand. I took it and he pulled me up, leading me back to my room.

Beck's lips grazed my knuckles.

"Until tomorrow," he said.

"Until tomorrow."

I closed the door to my room and sighed, leaning against it. I can't believe that just happened. Beckham is so perfect. I can't believe I got to kiss him. I hope I get to again.

"How'd it go?"

I jumped and noticed the girls sitting on my bed.

"Amazing."

I smiled the brightest smile I had in ages and told my friends all about my morning from the awful run to the kiss.

They were so happy for me and we were all squealing like little girls.

"I'm so happy for you," Lina said and Anna agreed.

"Me too," I sighed.

The girls and I laid back on my bed like we did so many other times, but this time my thoughts were on wavy brown hair and honey colored eyes.