Chapter 16: The Ball

Talia

"Oh you look so beautiful," Maria said.

She and Alexander were throwing a ball to celebrate my and Beckham's engagement and she had come to help me get ready.

She had gifted me a brand new gown to wear that she had specially made just for me and it was gorgeous. The dark blue tulle ballgown made my skin and hair pop and the silver accents brought out my eyes. It was perfect.

Anna and Lina put the finishing touches on my hair and makeup and I was ready. Maria escorted me to the ballroom where trumpets sounded and we were announced.

"Queen Maria and Lady Talia!"

All eyes turned to me and where I was excited for the ball before, now I was a jumble of nerves. I walked down the stairs careful not to trip, because how humiliating would that be, and Beckham was waiting for me at the bottom. He took my hand and leaned in.

"You look stunning," he whispered and I blushed.

Beckham led me to the dance floor and the orchestra started playing.

"Um, Beck?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't know how to dance."

I was embarrassed to admit it, but Beck was nice about it just like I knew he would be. He never made fun of me for my lack of life experience, he just helped me through it.

"Don't worry," he said. "Just follow my lead."

I did and soon I got the hang of it. Queen Maria and King Alexander were the next on the dance floor and soon lots of couples joined.

I danced with Beck until my feet were sore and Beck seemed to understand without me even saying anything because he led me off to get a drink. We spent some time talking to Nobles. Well, Beck did and I stood there with him.

We talked for a while until a glass clinked and the ballroom went silent. We turned to the thrones where the Queen and King were standing.

"Tonight is a joyous night as we are here to celebrate my son's engagement to Lady Talia! We are so happy for you two and we are excited to welcome Talia to the family. To Beckham and Talia!"

"To Beckham and Talia!" The crowd echoed.

The music started back up, but all I heard were the murmurs going through the crowd.

She's going to be Queen?

                  The girl he was dancing with?

    She's not even that pretty.

I tried to block out the whispers, but I couldn't. I looked up to find Beckham, but he suddenly wasn't there. I looked around but couldn't find him. There were too many people.

I felt like the walls were closing in on me and I had to get out.

I pushed through the crowd until I reached the balcony. I gulped down the precious sweet air and tried to calm my rapidly beating heart. I reminded myself that Beckham wanted me and that was all that mattered. Right?

But would he want me if he knew the truth? He would probably hate me for lying and find my past revolting.

I hated lying to Beck. Even if it meant I lost him, I wanted to tell him, but I couldn't. The whole situation was infuriating. I wish things were different. I wish I had a family that loved me and I were marrying Beck as the King's daughter not his niece.

But things aren't different and that's ok. I will make it work.

Taking a deep breath, I turned to go back into the ballroom only to be blocked by a group of girls.

"So you're Beckham's little 'fiancé'," the girl in the middle sneered. "How'd you trick him into proposing?"

All the girls laughed and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I bet he got her knocked up and now has to marry her out of obligation!" One of the girls laughed.

"I guess we'll see in nine months," another joined in.

All of the girls were laughing and I felt tears burning my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. Not in front of them.

I moved to walk past the girls, but the first girl stepped in front of me.

"Is the truth too hard to face?" She asked with a pout. "How will you ever rule if you can't even have a nice conversation with your citizens?"

The girls all laughed. All except me. This wasn't a nice conversation. I might not have experienced much, but I knew the difference between nice and mean.

If they were going to play mean then I wouldn't play nice. I pushed through the girls this time, not caring if I knocked them over.

I ran from the ballroom as the air was sucked from my lungs.

I escaped into the hallway and rushed towards my room. I was almost there when an arm grasped mine.

"Hello darling," said the man of my nightmares.

"Father."

I dropped into a curtsy trying to hide my trembling. Could this night get any worse?

"So you actually managed to do something right," Father said. "Don't mess it up."

"I won't," I whispered.

Father leaned in close. "And don't forget the consequences if you say anything. I will kill you and all of the people in this castle that you love."

I gasped.

"That's right. I have eyes everywhere. At the snap of my fingers your Prince and his parents will be dead. And those poor little maids. Cute things aren't they?"

"Don't you dare touch them."

Father slapped me for talking back to him, but I didn't regret it. I would not let him hurt my friends.

"Then don't let anything slip."

I nodded and rushed the rest of the way to my room. I barely made it through the door before collapsing and sobbing hysterically.

Why is all this happening? I just want to live a normal, happy life.

As less and less oxygen made it to my brain, my vision blurred and was filled with spots. I tried gulping down air, but it didn't reach my lungs. It felt like I was drowning.

"Talia?"

A pair of familiar arms wrapped around me and pulled me into his lap.

"It's ok. Take a deep breath. Everything's going to be ok."

I hid my face in the crook of Beckham's neck and tried to breathe. He kept whispering sweet words into my ear and gently rocking me.

Eventually, I felt my lungs fill and my tears stopped.

"What happened Sunshine?"

I knew he wouldn't let me off without telling him what upset me, but I clearly couldn't tell him the truth. Not without getting him killed.

"The crowd freaked me out," I whispered, avoiding eye contact with Beckham. I was afraid he'd see right through me into my shattered soul.

"It's more than that Talia. Please tell me so I can make it better."

I shook my head and Beckham tensed underneath me.

"I'm sorry," I cried as a tear rolled down my cheek.

Beckham relaxed and wiped my tear away.

"It's ok," he said and gave me a kiss on my forehead. "How about you get some rest and we'll talk more in the morning."

I nodded, although I had no clue what I would say when morning came.