Chapter 26: A Promise Broken

Talia

The wagon finally stopped and the world outside was deadly silent. I waited and waited until I finally heard the clash of steel.

I jumped up out of my hiding spot and ran out of the wagon. The courtyard of my old home had turned into a battleground. Father's men were greatly outnumbered, but they didn't give up. They were too afraid of my father to do that.

Letting my eyes scan over the battlefield, I searched for the love of my life. He was all the way at the front fighting my father.

I ran as fast as my legs could take me to the pair and dove behind a pillar where I could watch.

Beck was fighting valiantly. He swung his sword with all his might and never once gave the King a reprieve. I'd never seen him fight like this before. There was a fire behind his eyes spurring him on more than anything I'd ever witnessed.

I let my eyes leave Beckham for a moment as I searched for Ty. I wanted to make sure he was safe too. He may be annoying, but he's like a big brother to me and I love him.

Ty was fighting two men at the same time and seemed to be having the time of his life. I could even see his lips moving to make snarky comments.

Seeing that my brother was fine, I turned back to my husband just in time to see a guard sneak up on him from behind.

"No!" I screamed.

And before I even knew I'd grabbed one, my knife flew and sank into the guard's chest. I sighed in relief as the guard dropped and my eyes connected with a pair of honey ones. Ones that looked a mix of shock, happiness, relief, and anger. I shot him a little smile and he shook his head in disbelief.

It felt good seeing Beck again, but in that moment we shared, the King took his chance and before I could warn Beck, a sword slashed into his side.

I watched in slow motion as Beck dropped to his knees and a bloodcurdling scream tore through my body.

With the speed of a stallion and the fury of a dragon, I raced to my husband.

I watched in horror as my father lifted his sword to deliver the final blow, but he wasn't able to deliver it because I got there first. My sword protruded out of my father's abdomen and he dropped to the ground, dead. Everything stopped in that moment, the noise and fighting over.

Beck flashed me a smile before collapsing.

"No. No. No."

I cradled Beck's head in my lap and prayed that he would be ok.

"You can't do this to me Beck," I told him.

"I...Love...You."

Beck's hand cupped my cheek and I leaned into its warmth.

"You promised to come home," my voice cracked as tears started leaking from my eyes.

"It...was...worth...it."

Beck's eyes fluttered shut and his hand fell limp from my face.

"No!" I screamed and screamed, hugging Beck closer to me.

He couldn't be doing this. He couldn't be leaving me like this. I couldn't do this without him.

Please, no. Please, please, no.

I need you Beck.

Arms wrapped around me and pulled me away from Beck. I screamed and thrashed, trying to free myself, but I was too weak.

I fell limp in this person's arms and the world around me faded into darkness.