。eight 。

♡

adella drove home to the cabin after that, to make sure el was okay and she knew hopper had planned a date to enzo's with joyce so she wanted to know what happened. when she got inside, she heard music coming from el's room and went to the door.

she knocked lightly, "don't mean to bother, but can i come in?"

"yes!" el called happily and she opened the door to the girls.

"what'd you use your powers for?" adella asked and el looked at her in confusion until the older girl tapped under her nose making el wipe the spot of blood from her top lip.

"spying on mike." max answered with a grin and adella jumped down on el's bed with a smile. "el dumped his ass."

"why?" adella asked, knowing their dad would be beyond pleased.

"he said his nana was sick but then we saw him at the mall. he told me he was buying her a present and me one but he was lying." el explained. "so, i took max's advice and dumped him."

"good. you don't need a boyfriend anyway." adella hummed making el smile wider. "what're you doing now?"

"i bought some magazines from the mall so i was showing el." max said and handed one to adella.

"oh, the, uh... karate kid? i think?" adella guessed and max nodded. "i take it you like him."

"yeah, he's hot." max nodded making el laugh. "el agrees with me. do you think he's hot?"

"not my type, if i'm honest." adella replied.

"who is?" el giggled. "oh! i found out who you drew the other night! it was the sc-"

before el could finish her sentence, the sound of hopper's truck approaching could be heard. both younger girls lay on the floor on their stomachs, reading a magazine each while adella lay back on el's bed, picking up one of the books she'd let el borrow from her sister's bedside table.

hopper pushed open the front door, stumbling in with a bottle of wine in his hand from enzo's. he shut the door and heard music from el's room and just assumed mike was around again, "hey! hey! when i say three inches, three-"

the girls eyes widened when he slammed open the door roughly but his words stopped when he didn't see mike.

"do you knock? jeez!" max exclaimed 

"yeah! jeez!" el repeated while adella grinned at them, happy el had finally made friends with the girl she seemed to not like at first.

"oh, hey. i'm sorry." hopper apologised. "i thought that, uh-"

"mike's not here." adella assured.

"max wanted to have... a sleepover." el started. "is that... okay?"

"yeah." hopper agreed, seemingly dumbfounded at the door. "yeah. yeah. yeah. your parents know about it?"

"yup." max nodded, a little awkwardly.

"uh, yeah, it's cool. yeah. that's- that's really cool." hopper slurred and silence took over the room.

"did you need something?" max asked with a tilted head.

"no, no. uh, i'll leave." hopper said and grabbed the door knob. "i'll just let you... i'll leave you..."

the door closed and both el and max giggled together and started to get a pen and a piece of cardboard. adella sat up on the bed and started to get out, placing the book back down, "i'll leave you two to do... i don't even know what."

"goodnight." el smiled as she got to the door.

"night." max bid.

"yeah, you probably won't sleep but, night." adella chuckled and left, closing the door behind her.

hopper had kicked back on his recliner, watching tv with a mug of wine as music continued to blast from el's room. adella was slightly concerned but he seemed happier than he had coming back inside the cabin.

sitting down on the settee, adella looked towards hopper, "how did it go?"

"how did what go?" hopper asked, frowning under his moustache.

"your wedding with jesus." adella said sarcastically. "no, you and joyce!"

"she stood me up." hopper mumbled quietly, taking a quick gulp of wine before looking back to the tv.

"she didn't call?" adella asked sadly and he shook his head. "that doesn't sound like joyce. maybe something serious came up."

hopper scoffed, "sure."

"are you sure she didn't call?" adella questioned again.

"positive." hopper grumbled. "i don't know why i expected her to come, anyway. it's not like it was an actual date. we were just going to dinner."

"i know i'm not the best person to talk about this but isn't that what a date is?" adella asked.

"she wanted to make sure it was as friends before she agreed." hopper muttered and adella frowned.

"i'm sorry about that." she said and hopper nodded, glancing down.

"it's okay. probably for the best, though. i wouldn't wanna hurt her, too." hopper hummed.

with worried eyes, adella moved to sit on the arm of his recliner and hugged her dad tightly around the shoulders. hopper leant his head on her arm and hugged her back, smiling ever so slightly as he did so. he moved a little in his chair and adella slipped down next to him.

"explain this show, it confuses me." adella smiled and he started to ramble on about it.

{875}