。twenty five 。

♡

steve had been driving for a while now and couldn't see any radio close. adella was starting to think not even dustin knew where it was anymore. if it took much longer, she'd think they could have been running out of time and murray, joyce and hopper might be caught by the russians.

"jesus, how far is this place, man?" steve asked.

"relax, we're almost there." dustin replied.

"suzie must be pretty special, huh?" robin mused. "i mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?"

"or you're just mad." adella grumbled.

"i mean, nobody's scientifically perfect, but suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be." dustin stated with a grin.

"she sound made-up to me." erica spoke up. "she sound made-up to you?"

steve took a glance at adella who caught his eye but dustin was having none of it, "why are you two hesitating?"

"we're- we're- we're not! we're not!" steve called back.

"i think she sounds real. you know, definitely, totally real." adella hummed, sharing another glance with robin who was amused.

"left. turn left." dustin ordered.

"there's not a road here." steve objected.

"turn left now!" dustin repeated.

"jesus! hang on!" steve yelled as he swerved the car sharply up a hill. "whoa! henderson, where are we going!?"

"up!" dustin shouted back.

"oh, jesus!" steve exclaimed as they started to go up a steeper part of the hill.

"we're not gonna make it!" robin called.

"yes, we are. come on, baby. come on, baby!" steve tried to coax the car but it eventually conked out on the side of the hill.

"guess the toddfather had its limitations." robin spoke up and steve turned the engine off, everyone getting out of the car.

when they got to the radio finally, dustin sat down and moved to the correct channel to reach murray, "bald eagle, this is scoops troop, do you copy? bald eagle, i repeat, this is scoops troop, do you copy?"

"yes, i copy." murray replied and adella could nearly see the sarcastic grin on his face as the group on the hill chuckled in relief.

"call sign?" dustin requested.

"bald eagle." murray said quietly.

"please repeat." dustin coaxed.

"bald eagle. this is bald eagle!" murray snapped back.

"copy that. good to hear your voice, bald eagle. what's your 20?" dustin asked.

"we reached the vent. i'll contact you when i need you. until then, silence." murray demanded.

"copy that, bald eagle. this is scoops troop, going radio silent. 10-10, over." dustin responded.

after a while of waiting, murray suddenly spoke through the radio, "scoops troop, this is... hm. bald eagle. i've reached another junction."

"this is what?" dustin asked erica.

"the fourth junction." she answered.

"alright, so if memory serves, this is right after the my little pony thesis." dustin mumbled.

"we went left, he has to go right." adella spoke up, sat beside robin.

"right. fly right, bald eagle." dustin ordered. "fly right."

"roger that, flying right." murray smiled sarcastically.

"i wouldn't be surprised if dustin went missing suddenly." adella whispered to robin who chuckled quietly.

"well, we know who to interrogate, at least." robin said. "anyway, what's the my little pony thesis?"

"don't get him started." erica rolled her eyes.

"get him started? just tell me-"

"hey, guys?" steve called, cutting off robin's question.

the ran to join his side and look iff the hill, able to see starcourt from where they were standing.  the lights were flickering madly and worry immediately came over them all, running back to the radio.

dustin picked it up, "griswold family, this is scoops troop! do you copy? over!" a creature shrieked over the radio and their eyes widened. "griswold family, do you copy? do you copy!?"

the next thing they heard was the mind flayer roaring down the walkie-talkie.

"griswold family, this is scoops troop! please confirm your safety!" dustin ordered. "this is scoops troop! are you en route to bald eagle's nest?"

"they obviously can't reply!" adella yelled when dustin continued to shout down the radio. steve stood up and adella was immediately at his side, knowing what they were going to do.

erica looked to them, "where are you going!?"

"to get them the hell outta there!" steve called back. "stay here, contact the others!"

"shit." robin muttered and chased after them.

"wait, robin!" dustin tried and through her a walkie-talkie. "stay in touch."

"got it." she agreed and went after steve and adella into the car.

{766}