Ghost of You

September 17th, 1915.
Lille, Northern France.

  These were tough times for humanity, both magical and non-magical. Five years ago, on 1910, attacks from acolytes of the Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald in the most important European wizarding cities started. Thankfully, they were dealt with quickly at the point where things had gone quiet around 1914. However, things weren't very calm for the Muggles.

  A year ago, the Muggle world had fallen into a war. The Wizarding world had strict rules as to not intervene in their business, they even have an elite group that handles those who accidentally enter the magical world and even obliviate them, meaning, they make them forget those encounters.

  Archer Evermonde, the British Minister of Magic, passed an emergency legislation, which forbid witches and wizards from getting involved to avoid massive breaches —Muggles from entering the Wizarding world and end the secrecy of said world—. However, there were thousands of witches and wizards who decided to aid the Muggles whenever and however they could.

  Theseus was one of those many wizards. He was on the front line of duty, only that he never pulled the trigger of one of those Muggle weapons. He didn't do it unless it was strictly necessary. Instead, he was there to cure them and prevent them from dying. However, he was not exactly a medical soldier, he was just a soldier and he had duties, so, he continuously had jump into the trenches and help the soldiers fight the enemy. He learned to use their weapons and he had made friends. Sadly, he had seen many of them perish and die under the heat of the battles.

  This was in London. On one of those battles, he got hurt a bit too badly. Obviously, no one knew he was a wizard and letting even his closest mate know was far too risky. Therefore, he kept his wand in his boot and his lips shut. They transported him, along many others, to the nearest allied medical outpost to be treated, for the British outpost was under attack at the moment.

  On the back of the truck, he decided to give in to his sleep. He had tried to stay awake, assuring that he'd arrive in no time, only that it wasn't like that, the trip seemed to be endless. His eyes snapped shut and sleep took over. Terrible images could be seen behind his eyelids but he didn't want to be awake, the pain was too strong it was very overwhelming. He opened his eyes when he felt some guys grabbing the stretcher he was on roughly.

  They said something but he didn't understand it, their voices were distant for him. One of the guys, a man with a kind face, told him something that he didn't catch, the buzzing in his ears too loud, but the man smiled kindly as he nodded. Theseus closed his eyes for what felt like a second but was more than a minute.

"Placez-le ici, soigneusement. Merci, les gars." Said a female voice, she too sounded way too far. Thes felt like dreaming. "Ça va faire un peu mal, je m'excuse." She added and he felt something poking his skin, his eyes snapping open. He grunted and grabbed her wrist tightly to pull away whatever she had in her hand. She frowned, his grip around her hurt, but she didn't mind it that much. "Non, non, non. Attendez. Je sais que ça fait mal, mais attendez." Slowly, Theseus let go of her wrist and she slipped her hand away, the nurse frowned with worry when she saw such fear and concern in his eyes. She has helped plenty of soldiers, watched them die, with no limbs, cuts and scars on their skin; but it's never easy to see their faces, it wasn't before, it isn't now.

  Without saying a word, she grabbed some gauze, damped it with water, and started to carefully clean his face in order to remove the dried blood that was on his blood. Her touch felt familiar and it flooded Theseus with tranquility, he closed his eyes and released a breath. When the blood was off, it revealed a few cuts on his skin bug it wasn't something that would need stitches. Now, the only wounds visible were said cuts and a black eye. When her hands stopped moving on his face, he opened his eyes, both of them frowned.