eleven

"Hey, where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you." Joey says as I return, a scream echoing through the space as someone comes falling down onto the net.

He settles beside me as if we've known each other for years rather than just a little over an hour, at most.

Joey goes on to tell me what had happened up on the roof after I'd jumped, but none of his words quite register with me as my eyes catch on Tobias as he enters the room.

He's the epitome of stoicism as he makes his way further into the room, looking like we didn't just have a conversation that almost killed me all over again.

As if he feels my eyes on him, he lifts his to meet mine. His gaze lingers on me for a couple of seconds longer than it probably should and it's starting to draw attention to us. All around us, I see people looking over at us curiously. Most of them are Dauntless members who are most likely familiar with Tobias.

One boy- I've noticed- seems particularly interested in us, his gaze constantly ping-ponging back and forth between Tobias and I. Since he looks to be about Tobias's age, I suspect he's a friend of his. He's tall, with bronzed skin and a head full of brown hair that curls slightly at the ends.

I know the moment he notices me looking at him because he raises his hand in an enthusiastic wave, wearing a wide grin on his face.

"You know that guy?"

"Huh?" I glance over at Joey, feeling bad for not paying much attention to him.

"The dude over there that's waving at you," He jerks his chin at the guy, "You know him?"

"Oh," I shook my head, "Not at all."

"He seems like he knows you," He states and I shrug.

"Maybe he's just being friendly."

When I look forward again, I see Tobias's gaze flicks to my right and he eyes Joey with furrowed brows. I find myself taking a step away from Joey, unconsciously putting some space between us.

"Dauntless-born, go with Lauren. Transfers stay with me," Tobias instructs once they get the last person off of the net, "Go."

The Dauntless-borns do as they're told, splitting off from our group and following the pretty brunette.

Once they're gone, he continues, "Most of the time, I work in Intelligence. But during your training, I'll be your instructor." He takes a deep breath, his eyes meeting mine again for a split second before they dart away as if he's...unsure? Of what, I'm not sure. "My name's Four."

My brows quirk up in question and I wait for him to look over at me again, but he never does.

"Four?" A Candor transfer scoffs, "Like the number?"

"Exactly like the number," He answers confidently, contrary to the look he'd just given me before he introduced himself.

"What happened? One through three were taken?" She jokes.

I see the twitch in his jaw in annoyance, the same way it does sometimes when he talks about his father. Though I'm sure that was more anger than annoyance.

"What's your name?" He asks.

"Christina."

Tobias nods and steps towards her until he's towering over her intimidatingly, "Well, Christina," He says, his voice dangerously low, "The first lesson you learn from me, if you want to survive here, is to keep your mouth shut. Do you understand me?"

I frown at the side of him I've never seen before and he peers up at me from where he's still crouched over her and I swear I think his eyes soften a little before he starts to back away just as she answers him with a timid, 'yes'.

"Good," He mumbles, "Follow me."

He leads us down a long, narrow hallway and then down a spiralling flight of steps.

As if I don't have control over my own eyes, they start to drift over to Tobias once again. I take in his broad shoulders as he walks, my lips parting in surprise when I spot the hint of black in sticking out from under his collar and I can't help but wonder what it's of.

I'm not sure what it is, but something about the Tobias I knew just didn't strike me as the type of person who would've wanted to get one.

He glances over his shoulder as if he can hear my thoughts, his eyes picking me out from the crowd so effortlessly that it feels almost like he has some sort of sixth-sense just for me.

Finally, we emerge on a platform and Tobias turns his attention back ahead of him.

"This is the Pit," He says, "The centre of life here at Dauntless."

I gasp at the sight before me, looking up to see a beautiful glass roof that lets the sunlight filter through and a dangerously, but incredibly mesmerising waterfall on the far right side.

The entire place is bustling with excited energy. Even from here, I could hear laughter filtering through from below and I can't help but smile at the sight.

Feeling a burning gaze on me, I look up to see Tobias observing me with a small, secretive smile playing on his lips, as if seeing me smile satisfied him to no end.

As everybody else looks out, enjoying the mesmerising view from up here, his eyes are on me, and he never once takes them off of me.