Chapter Five

"The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder." ― Virginia Woolf

The birds were chirping loudly, and flying between the trees making the leaves swish. Squirrels were scurrying across the ground looking for something to eat. There were all different trees and flowers scattering the landscape. Vines wrapped their way up the thick gnarled trunks, giving it a somewhat jungle type look.

Seamoore and I walked in complete silence, and I was trying my best to keep my distance from him. I was not happy with this choice of walk, but he seemed to find it amusing. Whatever he found amusing, I would never know. Probably just my being miserable made him happy.

My feet were already killing me and we weren't even a fourth of the way done with the hike. Why had I decided to wear ballet slippers? Because I hadn't been expecting to go for a hike through a rock filled path. I had given up on trying to get all the rocks and dirt out of shoes and now just walked with them in there. It was not comfortable to say the least, but it would have been a waste of time to keep stopping and emptying my shoes every five steps.

Seamoore was holding up just fine. He had worn sneakers, so the walk was nothing for him. The bugs didn't seem to be bothering like they were me, and he wasn't breaking into a sweat from the long walks up the hills like I had been. Walking on this path was as easy as walking down the sidewalks in town for Seamoore, and this made me feel even more hateful towards him.

"Can we just go back?" I groaned, hanging my head back, and dragging my feet even more.

"I'm enjoying myself," he said, and started to whistle.

"It's not always about you," I grumbled to myself, and began to slow down even more. Making a point to purposely trip a couple of times hoping he'd change his mind.

"I'm not going to change my mind. A walk is good for the soul," he called back to me as if he was reading my mind.

"Like you even have a soul," I murmured, and decided to sit down on the ground and massage my aching feet.

"I'm not going to wait for you," he yelled back.

"Good! I was getting sick of your company anyways!" I yelled back at him, and emptied the gravel out of my shoes.

I sat on the ground for a good five minutes, and then decided to start walking again. I didn't want Seamoore to get too far ahead. I didn't actually want to walk through here alone. There were rumors of things happening to girls who walked down these paths by themselves, and I didn't want that to happen to me.

Walking as fast as I could, and saying ow every few steps from the stones that had gotten in my shoes, I looked for Seamoore. He couldn't have gotten that far, he wasn't walking that fast. But he may have started walking faster once I stayed behind just to prove to me that what I wanted didn't matter to him. At this thought I began to get angry.

"Seamoore, get over here!" I yelled into the air, hoping I'd hear his arrogant chuckle.

There was no response.

"Come on, Seamoore! I've learned my lesson," I called again, starting to get a little nervous, but the anger was still dominant.

Still no response.

"Goddammit! This isn't funny!"

And since there was no response that time either, I began to run a little faster, in hopes of finding Seamoore. Maybe he had gotten a lot further ahead than I had expected. I shouldn't have stopped, I should have just sucked it up and continued to walk with him complaining every two minutes.