Chapter Ten

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.” ― Audrey Hepburn

   I stood in front of the bathroom mirror staring at my reflection. My bright green eyes showing only vacancy. I smiled hoping that it would do something to brighten the emotion in them, but it didn’t. It only made me look pained. My reddish-brown hair lay across my back in lightly curled waves; the light reflecting off the sleek and shine of it.

    Sighing, I opened my make-up case and pulled out the cover-up and began powdering my face with it, making the shininess of my face become dulled. I didn’t bother putting any blush on because my cheek bones were already defined enough. I kept the eye make-up light. I was never one who was very good at keeping my eyeliner straight, anyways.

    On my bed lay the outfit I had picked out for the night. It was a simple pair of plain blue jeans with a collared, beige silk shirt. The shirt had black lining going around the collar giving it a little bit more a vintage look.

     I finished getting ready and stood in front of the full length mirror looking at myself. I turned to the side, looking at myself from the side; then the other side; then the back; and finally back to the front. I didn’t understand what made me so much prettier than the other girls. I was the same height; I wore the same clothes; my hair was the typical hair color. What made me prettier than any of them? I honestly didn’t understand beauty at all.

     The clock read six-forty-five. Brice would be here soon to pick me up. I was extremely curious as to where we would be going. Maybe we’d see a movie or something.

    At five to seven I heard a knock on my door and rushed down the stairs, and answered the door. Brice stood there in a black leather jacket, and blue jeans. His hair was tousled like he had just gotten out of bed.

    “Hi,” he smiled.

    “Hi,” I said, walking out the door, and locking it behind me.

    “You look nice tonight,” he commented as we walked down the path.

    “Thanks so do you,” I smiled, self-consciously brushing a piece of hair behind my ear.

    Brice opened the passenger door for me to get in, shut it gently, and walked around to the driver’s side.

     “So where do you want to go?” he asked once he was settled in the car and started it up.

    “Wherever you’d like to go is fine,” I shrugged. Usually the guys I’d gone out with would pick out where we would be going, which was usually the movies, the mall, or Taco Bell.

    “Ever been to that new ice cream place that just opened up uptown?” he asked.

    “No, but I’ve been wanting to try it,” I replied, excitedly. It was supposed to have homemade ice cream of over 25 flavors that weren’t your everyday flavors. I had wanted to come by with Lacey, but I’d been too busy with Seamoore to go.

    “I haven’t either, so wanna go there?”

    “Yeah.”

    The drive to the ice cream parlor was a short and silent one. We made a little bit of small talk, but didn’t say much more. Brice seemed more uncomfortable with it than I was. I think being with Seamoore in the car so often and how it was always quiet had made me more comfortable with silence.

     We arrived to the ice cream parlor and spent about ten minutes trying to find an open parking space in the tiny parking lot. When we couldn’t find an open spot we ended up parking two streets over and walked from there.