Chapter Eight

“What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful.” ― Scott Westerfeld, Uglies

     Seamoore walked a ways ahead of Dolly and I. Dolly had said that Colin was better when he was alone with Seamoore. He was easily spooked when there were too many people around for his walks. I had just nodded, and slowed my pace to Dolly’s and watched as Seamoore and Colin walked ahead. I could hear the sound of Seamoore’s laugh and Colin’s joyous bark. It looked like such a Kodak moment.

    “So how long have you been friends with Seamoore?” she asked, breaking my thoughts.

     “Oh we aren’t friends. I’m his personal aide for a little bit,” I said, not looking away from Colin and Seamoore.

     “Really? He didn’t tell me he needed one of those,” she said partially to herself.

     “Yeah, there was an ad in the paper for it, so I figured I’d try it out,” I shrugged, “It was a volunteer program and I need volunteer hours so it’s helping me graduate.”

      “Oh really?”

     “Yeah. This is my fourth day with him.”

     “How do you like it?”

     “It’s different,” I said carefully, “I’m still getting used to the whole him being blind thing. But I’m enjoying it.”

     “That’s good,” Dolly commented, “how is he around you?”

     “Sarcastic,” I replied shortly.

     “He’ll warm up to you,” she smiled.

     “I’m not so sure about that,” I laughed, “there’s never a dull moment though when I’m with him. I never know when he’s going to randomly insult me or insult anything for that matter.”

     “That sounds like Seamoore.”

      “How long have you known him?” I asked, changing the subject.

      “A few years; we’re neighbors,” she laughed lightly.

     Dolly liked to laugh a lot, I had gathered. It wasn’t just a nervous habit it was just a habit in general for her.  Her laugh wasn’t loud or annoying; it was soft and almost contagious. I couldn’t help but smile every time she laughed. Whether it was out of nervousness or because she found something funny.

      “That’s cool,” I commented.

      “To answer your question, yes I did know him before he was blind.” She looked over and Seamoore with a longing glance.

     “I wasn’t going to ask that.”

     “I know, but you were probably thinking it. Almost everyone would.”

     “It’s not my business so I wasn’t going to ask,” I gave her a reassuring smile.

     “Oh,” she laughed, “well you know when he moved here, he was absolutely the loneliest looking thing in the world. He hadn’t wanted to leave his old home, but his parents told him it was for the best,” she began, “and when I went over to give them a housewarming gift, he answered the door. You wouldn’t believe how rude he was!” She laughed.

     “I think I could believe it,” I said, a smirk on my face.

     “I suppose you could,” she giggled, “but when I gave him the tray of cookies, he said thank you and slammed the door. Just like that! That was the first conversation I had ever had with Seamoore. He was fourteen and I was nineteen. That was five years ago.”